Amazon

At least someone thinks rising oil prises are good

Could you answer me a question? Are diesel powered cars becomeing more common in ths States? I understood that they were less common, than say over here in Europe.

I drive a Landy and SVO is the way to go.....

Another Landy user? B|

What'cha got? Mine are a 110CSW wiff 300tdi and a S-II/III (RIGHT on the change) wiff a Perkins 4203 & Fairey Overdrive unit (which it REALLY needs).

Are you SURE about going heated SVO? It really only comes into it's own if you make long trips. Bear in mind you can't switch until the engine's hot and the SVO has been heated over 80 Centigrade. You also MUST remember to switch back to diesel for at least a minute BEFORE switching off (if you hope to start the engine again)!:$

The guy Nicholson at North Wales Biodiesel Org may well have a solution, but he's only selling his recipe as a business. It retains the alcohol (Glycerine) molecule that's stripped in transestherication but registered producers seem to get a lot of hassle from the local HMC&E!

BioDiesel is still more expensive to prooduce than fossil - it's only viable in the UK 'cos of the tax break. You were, of course, going to declare the use & pay duty, weren't you?:o

Oh yeah... One small point... IF you go Heated SVO then DON'T strip your local supermarket of of veggie oil! You're better off getting your local chippie to get in extra catering drums. :ph34r: It's less noticeable!:P

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

[cough]Freelander[cough] - it get's used off-road.. could use another couple of inches of ground clearance.

I laid off the SVO during the winter.. but tested it at between 5-10% mix last summer (I wont go any higher without a heated filter)

You're right about the logistics... 3l bottles aren't the way to go (alright for a test tho')

I've also heard (but not tried) that white spirit mixed with the SVO helps to reduce the viscocity issues.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Those clicky's are excellent resources. I especially like the schematic of the reaction system. nice detail. Anyway to answer the question, No, Americans are not generally fond of diesels for autos.

Rudolf Diesel invented his compression ignition engine so named to run on peanut oil and showed it to the world at the 1900 Paris exposition....Then Standard Oil came along and that was the end of veg. fuel. here is a synopsis: stone age-bronze age-iron age-oil age.....its almost over people, time to move along!

I realize that biofuels are a bit "communistic" for most Americans to grasp, but right now our Govt does not have an effective "plan B" We are either going to eventually have to bomb and steal oil from other nations or we can change.

For those that are interested here is one list of the ingredients for biodiesel: vegetable oil,methanol, lye. Here's another one: vegetable oil,ethanol(grain alcohol),potassium hydroxide( a lye substitute) The result: Biodeisel(transesterified fatty acid=diesel or home heating oil), and Glycerine (an ingredient in facial soaps)
The ingredients for Ethanol fuel? sugar, water, yeast. & a BATF permit.
You can make this stuff in your garage if you want. But it will soon be available (And safer) from your local entrepreneur.... and thats patriotic!

Rudolf Diesel finally vindicated 100 years later!

My suggestion, ask around, Google biofuels, convert your cars (yes you can still burn gas)and find out who's got the nards to sell this stuff in your community.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

Thanks. Actually, (and I may be wrong) but I think that his first engines ran on coal dust (they didn't work too well and he moved on to oil)... but it's a few years since I read the history.

Also, you'll not run your petrol car on biodiesel ... bioethonol is the way to go for you.clicky

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Nope, and I didn't imply you did.

right...a simple sarcastic reponse telling me to "go call my congressman"...maybe i should call the president instead? i'll *really* get some movement then...

Not true. As others have pointed out to you auto manufacturers make what consumers want. If you are going to blame someone, blame consumers.

it's nice that you're so ready to roll over and say "market forces" when discussing the american car mfr's failures. the car companies short changed their R&D and any involvement into alternative 'fuels/technology' because they wanted maximum profit *at that exact moment*. my point is, their lack of planning has cost *us* so while they get their act together and catch up for lost time, and while the president makes his 'probes into price gouging', and while congress bickers back and forth about how to 'solve the problem' (w/o really addressing the root problem, i might add) you and i will be stuck making up the difference.

I didn't miss the point. I just disagreed with it and suggested the quickest way to get immediate relief is to eliminate the taxes on gasoline by contacting your Congressional Reps. Can you suggest a faster way?

Yes, I see, you believe that "hey nobody wanted an alternative vehicle 10 yrs ago, why expect the car co to make one?". Well, people *did* want alternative cars 10 years ago, and what's worse is that this is not the first 'gas crunch'. Why not spend time from 1970-->Now working on alternative fuels/cars rather than just making modest improvements in gas mileage? Could it possibly be that making the improvements to increase was gas mileage was the *easy way out* that maintained the status quo?

In this case, as I pointed out to you, they hold the keys to doing something about the price of gas immediately.

you're joking? so when can i expect this 'magic' you speak of to appear? it's surprising that someone so willing to say "market forces, etc etc" then turns around and expects congress to 'provide relief' by repealing taxes. why not call 'market forces' right now? hell, the vespa dealer down the street just expanded into a bigger bldg. maybe you and i can ride tandem on a pink one? B|

but in all seriousness, i understand what you're saying - you don't want to place blame on the mfr for providing what the public wanted at the time. that's fine and dandy, if it works for you. it doesn't work for me. ironic as this is, it doesn't seem to work for Dubya either:

In January, President Bush suggested that carmakers solve their own problems by making cars that are "relevant." Referring to President Carter's decision to help Chrysler, he noted, "I would hope I wouldn't be asked to make that decision." http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/14/automobiles/14bailout.html?pagewanted=2&ei=5088&en=6894a5fdb8e90424&ex=1302667200&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

i wonder why he chose the word 'relevant' when discussing the type of cars that should be made...
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell