smiles

misquoting jesus

Bart D. Ehrman- Misquoting Jesus

The story behind who changed the bible and why. How mistakes and changes shaped the bible we read today. Scribes who wrote the Greek manuscripts of the New Testament, the scholars who used these thousands of manuscripts to establish the best text.

Ehrman makes the provocative case that many of our cherished biblical stories and widely held beliefs concerning the divinity of Jesus, the Trinity, and the devine origins of the Bible itself stem from both intentional and accidental alterations by scribes-alterations that dramatically affected all the subsequent versions of the Bible.

I have not quite finished reading "Misquoting Jesus" by a world-class biblical scholar that claims to be an authority on the history of the New Testament, the early church, and the life of Jesus.

As I have never held a ultraconservative view of the Bible, (never assumed when reading the New Testament I was reading an exact copy of Jesus's words) ....I am interested in comments from a "Christian" that has read this book.

*edit link to watch interview on the book by Jon Stewart (the daily show)
search for "Bart Ehrman"
http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/most_recent/index.jhtml?start=33
---search for "Bart Ehrman"

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

Or perhaps the men have written the truth.

I don't think that's possible. And it doesn't just apply to religious matters.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Or perhaps the men have written the truth.

men have copied and put into their own words what a fundamentalist reads as the truth.....

I edited my post above to add link to
interview talking about some of the inconsistencies of the bible.

*edit link to watch interview on the book by Jon Stewart (the daily show)
search for "Bart Ehrman"
http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_daily_show/videos/most_recent/index.jhtml?start=33
---search for "Bart Ehrman"

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.