RhondaLea

The Persecution of Christians

Excerpt from The Rocky Mountain News:

Tresa Waggoner, the Bennett School District music teacher put on paid leave for showing a video clip of the opera Faust, said Thursday that she's looking for a new job.
Waggoner, placed on leave Jan. 30, said she called superintendent George Sauter on Thursday after a local newspaper reported that she would not be allowed to return to the classroom.

She said Sauter said she'd remain on paid leave. Sauter confirmed that, but declined further comment.

"I'm applying for other teaching positions in schools and colleges," said Waggoner, a vocalist with two Christian CDs. "Maybe I'll become a church music director."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4529857,00.html

If you read the rest of the article, however, it gets worse.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Yet further proof that the world is indeed going mad.

The fact that the teacher is being publically pillaried whilst those throwing rocks refused to comment publically, shows an almost complete lack of backbone.... wasters

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Excerpt from The Rocky Mountain News:

Tresa Waggoner, the Bennett School District music teacher put on paid leave for showing a video clip of the opera Faust, said Thursday that she's looking for a new job.
Waggoner, placed on leave Jan. 30, said she called superintendent George Sauter on Thursday after a local newspaper reported that she would not be allowed to return to the classroom.

She said Sauter said she'd remain on paid leave. Sauter confirmed that, but declined further comment.

"I'm applying for other teaching positions in schools and colleges," said Waggoner, a vocalist with two Christian CDs. "Maybe I'll become a church music director."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4529857,00.html

If you read the rest of the article, however, it gets worse.

rl

It's really hard to tell whether the teacher or the school board is more representative of "Christianity" here. It's the school board who wanted to sing the Christmas carols and the school board who saw abortion and Satan worship in the opera. In other words, it sounds like the teacher's being persecuted for not being Christian enough.

It's really hard to tell whether the teacher or the school board is more representative of "Christianity" here. It's the school board who wanted to sing the Christmas carols and the school board who saw abortion and Satan worship in the opera. In other words, it sounds like the teacher's being persecuted for not being Christian enough.

That was my take.

It seemed to me that she was "guilty" of following the law (keeping religion out of the school by not adding carols to the Christmas program), but got nailed for offering some (religious) cultural education to her students. Faust is intended to be an object lesson, after all.

Apparently, she's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't.

I considered posting this in the "I am a Christian..." thread, because it speaks to windcatcher's original premise: that Christians are persecuted; but then I decided it deserved its own thread.

I guess Christians are Christianity's own worst enemy.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I don't think the real issue is with persecution of Christians. The larger issue seems to be the ones doing the persecuting. As a group, parents seem to me to be the most judgemental, spiteful, eat-their-dead group of people I have ever run across. True, not all parents are that way, but to people with kids, *anything* that may possibly have an affect on their kids immediately becomes an emotionally-charged topic.

There was a thread recently in the bonfire that showed a kind of lynch mob mentality toward Britney Spears for driving a car with her kid on her lap, with the title of the thread claiming that she belonged in prison for that. WTF?!!!!

This situation is hardly any different from my perspective and I think it's very safe to say that not only is it *not* going to change, it's going to get a lot worse.

I doubt it really matters at all what really happened in that classroom or whether it had any negative impact on any of the students. It's the fact that it involved someone's kids. I'm amazed there is *anyone* who is willing to have any contact with kids at all--not so much because of the kids, but because of the parents.

It seems to have become quite a bit worse in the last couple of decades. When I was young, I think most parents were actually quite supportive of teachers and a teacher would have to seriously cross the line to be on the receiving end of their wrath. It's just not that way anymore.

Walt