SwampThing

Separation of Church & State

Are you talking about in the United States? That is so clearly unconstitutional I can't believe it has been attempted. That is a clear prohibition on the free exercise of religion.

Is it?

i don't know how these places work, but I assume someone owns a lot of land, builds a lot of houses there, and then decides who to sell the houses to. What's wrong with that?

...I've made an appointment to meet with the Mayor any my local councilman later in the week. Hopefully by then I will have calmed down enough to make a logical unemotional complaint and ask only for reasonable satisfaction from those that were most definitely out of line here.

How did your meeting go? I hope you got satisfaction.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Are you talking about in the United States? That is so clearly unconstitutional I can't believe it has been attempted. That is a clear prohibition on the free exercise of religion.

Is it?

i don't know how these places work, but I assume someone owns a lot of land, builds a lot of houses there....

Most new housing development tracts in the US & Canada are done that way. Developers buy up land, subdivide it into lots, build houses on the lots, and sell them. Usually the common space of the development (roads, infrastructure, any dedicated open space, playgrounds, etc.) is not deeded over to the municipality until the last lot is sold.

...and then decides who to sell the houses to. What's wrong with that?

In the US, the federal Fair Housing Act prohibits the developer (or any home seller, to that matter) from discriminating (i.e., "deciding who to sell the house to") on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, etc. State laws have parallel provisions. So, that particular development will simply have to be careful to keep their selling and marketing activities within the scope of the anti-discrimination laws.