freethefly

Cannabinoids as Cancer Hope

Cannabinoids As Cancer Hope
by Paul Armentano
Senior Policy Analyst
NORML | NORML Foundation

“Cannabinoids possess … anticancer activity [and may] possibly represent a new class of anti-cancer drugs that retard cancer growth, inhibit angiogenesis (the formation of new blood vessels) and the metastatic spreading of cancer cells." So concludes a comprehensive review published in the October 2005 issue of the scientific journal Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry.

Not familiar with the emerging body of research touting cannabis' ability to stave the spread of certain types of cancers? You're not alone.

For over 30 years, US politicians and bureaucrats have systematically turned a blind eye to scientific research indicating that marijuana may play a role in cancer prevention -- a finding that was first documented in 1974. That year, a research team at the Medical College of Virginia (acting at the behest of the federal government) discovered that cannabis inhibited malignant tumor cell growth in culture and in mice. According to the study's results, reported nationally in an Aug. 18, 1974, Washington Post newspaper feature, administration of marijuana's primary cannabinoid THC, "slowed the growth of lung cancers, breast cancers and a virus-induced leukemia in laboratory mice, and prolonged their lives by as much as 36 percent."

Despite these favorable preclinical findings, US government officials dismissed the study (which was eventually published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute in 1975), and refused to fund any follow-up research until conducting a similar –- though secret –- clinical trial in the mid-1990s. That study, conducted by the US National Toxicology Program to the tune of $2 million concluded that mice and rats administered high doses of THC over long periods experienced greater protection against malignant tumors than untreated controls.

Rather than publicize their findings, government researchers once again shelved the results, which only came to light after a draft copy of its findings were leaked in 1997 to a medical journal, which in turn forwarded the story to the national media.

Nevertheless, in the decade since the completion of the National Toxicology trial, the U.S. government has yet to encourage or fund additional, follow up studies examining the cannabinoids' potential to protect against the spread cancerous tumors.

Fortunately, scientists overseas have generously picked up where US researchers so abruptly left off. In 1998, a research team at Madrid's Complutense University discovered that THC can selectively induce apoptosis (program cell death) in brain tumor cells without negatively impacting the surrounding healthy cells. Then in 2000, they reported in the journal Nature Medicine that injections of synthetic THC eradicated malignant gliomas (brain tumors) in one-third of treated rats, and prolonged life in another third by six weeks.

In 2003, researchers at the University of Milan in Naples, Italy, reported that non-psychoactive compounds in marijuana inhibited the growth of glioma cells in a dose dependent manner and selectively targeted and killed malignant cancer cells.

The following year, researchers reported in the journal of the American Association for Cancer Research that marijuana's constituents inhibited the spread of brain cancer in human tumor biopsies. In a related development, a research team from the University of South Florida further noted that THC can also selectively inhibit the activation and replication of gamma herpes viruses. The viruses, which can lie dormant for years within white blood cells before becoming active and spreading to other cells, are thought to increase one's chances of developing cancers such as Karposis Sarcoma, Burkitts lymphoma, and Hodgkins disease.

More recently, investigators published pre-clinical findings demonstrating that cannabinoids may play a role in inhibiting cell growth of colectoral cancer, skin carcinoma, breast cancer, and prostate cancer, among other conditions. When investigators compared the efficacy of natural cannabinoids to that of a synthetic agonist, THC proved far more beneficial – selectively decreasing the proliferation of malignant cells and inducing apoptosis more rapidly than its synthetic alternative while simultaneously leaving healthy cells unscathed.

Nevertheless, US politicians have been little swayed by these results, and remain steadfastly opposed to the notion of sponsoring – or even acknowledging – this growing body clinical research, preferring instead to promote the unfounded notion that cannabis use causes cancer. Until this bias changes, expect the bulk of research investigating the use of cannabinoids as anticancer agents to remain overseas and, regrettably, overlooked in the public discourse.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

One of the many crimes commited against a PLANT!!!
Read Jack Herer's book, "The Emporer Wears No Clothes". Download it for free off his website.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

The right actually believes the crap that they saw as kids when watching REEFER MADNESS.

:Dthats some funny shit that movie, you'd have to be a pretty naive idiot to belive that propoganda shit? but i guess it was made especially for the right wingers though eh. seemed to work too. It just goes to show eh.[:/]

:D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

that's a fun movie to watch, actually.

especially when in the proper, er, frame of mind.

Fuck yeah, hows the look on the dudes face when he's playing the piano:D:D:D i havn't seen it for 10 years but it still makes me laugh.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

At the very least it is a highly effective analgesic. It greatly reduces the nausea brought about by chemo therapy and is an excellent appetite stimulant. In general it can make very sick people feel a little better.
At worst it makes you drive 15 mph on the interstate.:ph34r:
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

...Stuff...

Great. Now use your right to engage the democratic process to attempt to bring about change in the policy.

Until then, expect to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law should you be caught breaking said law.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

...Stuff...

Great. Now use your right to engage the democratic process to attempt to bring about change in the policy.

Until then, expect to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law should you be caught breaking said law.

Given the overwhelming amount of evidence to the healing property of mj it is highly unethical for the Federal government to hold back this medication from those in need while at the same time have no problem with the highly toxic and addictive narcotics that are used. When will they stop screaming "What kind of message is this sending to the children". They don't scream this about morphine or oxycontin or while they are shoving ritalin down a childs throat. Furthurmore, it should be a crime imprison sick and dying people for using to get relief from the pain of illness.
I do write letters to my congressman. I do support the medical marijuana lobby. I do tell others that this plant is more than a party herb. This plant may very well be the cure for a number of types of cancers. The government has known this for 30 years, yet, they refuse to let go of the lies that they pump into society. It is hard to believe that some people still believe the lies. Marijuana has never killed anyone. Marijuana is not addictive. Marijuana does not lead to heroin. Marijuana does not cause brain damage. Marijuana does not make people violent. The greatest danger in using is the government itself. It is ironic that the very government that wish to stop all research and eradicate this plant, it's own constitution is written on hemp and the founding fathers encouraged the production of hemp. George Washington as well as Jefferson was known to smoke it for medicinal purpose and possibly recreation as well.
The crime is a government that will not tell the truth and would rather see people suffer than to help with the advancement of this great plant.
Google "marijuana cancer cure" , read the evidence and shrug off ignorance.
Neil Young

...Stuff...

...More mental maturbation...

Great, now get a lawmaker on your side to draft a bill. Until you get the laws to change to your liking, expect law enforcement to hold you responsible for the laws you break.

...Stuff...

And had you called the cops on me and my brother when we did this for my mom when she had cancer I guess I would go to jail twice...once for you calling me in...and a second time from me beating the living shit out of you ;)

I Saw what it can do, what we did for my mother did nothing to harm anyone else. In fact it helped her through parts of it. So you need to back down off your whole stance that pot is bad pot is bad pot is bad period, shit. There is a time and a place that it really is helpful. There is no black and white.

Sorry...you know I do not agree with your stance on this, and I will defend this information tooth and nail....

I am also going to add this so no one freaks out...EXAfo and I are in fact freinds, and this is something we disagree about, and should not be considered a personal attack, as my threatening comment could not be fullfilled...My mom died from cancer in 99.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Great, now get a lawmaker on your side to draft a bill. Until you get the laws to change to your liking, expect law enforcement to hold you responsible for the laws you break.

Its great that this has nothing to do whatsoever with his point. I am sure he is well aware that he can go to jail for it.

He posts things like "Here is why it should not be illegal and why I think the government is doing the wrong thing."

To which you respond, "Great, but you are going to get arrested for breaking the law."

Which makes ZERO sense as a response in context. :S
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Indeed, we're friends, and I take no offence from what Renee has said.

That being said, you'll note I did not imply or elude that I have ever, or plan to "narc" on anyone, moreso that those who break a law should be prepared to pay the penalty if caught/convicted.

Edited to add:

And if someone is arrested for possession, I do not think of them as a victim of some enigmatic establishment. I think of them as a criminal defendant.

He posts things like "Here is why it should not be illegal and why I think the government is doing the wrong thing."

To which you respond, "Great, but you are going to get arrested for breaking the law."

Actually, I was acknowledging that he stated his case. I then replied that no matter how much pseudo-science and rhetoric he spews, he is still breaking the law, and should expect punishment if caught.

Actually, I was acknowledging that he stated his case. I then replied that no matter how much pseudo-science and rhetoric he spews, he is still breaking the law, and should expect punishment if caught.

Which is just tacking on something irrelevent to what he was saying, but whatever. Its a wonderful debate tactic.

Spews rhetoric? That's funny. Sounds like you spew the government version.

It may be illegal, but just because the government says something bad, I will not blindly believe it.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I then replied that no matter how much pseudo-science and rhetoric he spews, he is still breaking the law, and should expect punishment if caught.

There is nothing pseudo about the research being done with cannbinoids to treat illnesses such as cancer, MS, AIDS and number of others. The Federal government funded such research and only when the research showed promise did the Feds scrap the research. The Feds were hoping that the research would fail. I do not "spew" rhetoric. I stay on top of what is going on as I need to in order to be able to make the best choice to fight an illness that will eventually kill me. I looked at your profile and see that you work for the insurance industry. I have no love for that industry at all and see it as a scam that works only for profit and to keep medication out of the hands of people who truely need it. You should hope that you never get sick enough where a drug like cannabis would be a godsend. If you do, you should call the "law" and report yourself if you were to need cannabis in order to increase appetitte, curb nausea, decrease pain... I can imagine you reporting your own family members if any of them were to use cannabis to help with an illness.
It is not about getting "high". It is about being able to carry on a normal life without wasting away from not eating or throwing up the food you force yourself to eat. It is about being able to get about without pain. Don't tell me that there are "legal drugs" that one can use. The drugs that the pharmetcutical companies push often lead to more drugs that they push. Drugs to counter side effects. At one point I was eating more than 20 pills at a time. Only four of them were for AIDS, the rest were to counter side effects. To hell with that. Try that twice a day. Cannabis relieved me of crap the pharmetcutical company was pushing. Of course you would know nothing about what it is like, otherwise you would not spew your self rightous rhetoric. I really do not care what the government says as what they say is all lies. I care about being able to stay alive and live a normal live. You should take Thomas Jefferson's quote out of your sig-line as it is appearant that you do not believe it. If Jefferson was alive today he would be pro-cannabis.
I highly recommend that you read up on cannabis research and stop spewing the same rhetoric as the Feds. You sound like a broken record.
Neil Young