matthewcline

Washington State Union Contract and Firings

The state of WA has begun firing employees who refused to be a part of the State Employees Union.

It is apparantly a part of a contract between the Union and the Governor.

Sorry no link, but I saw it on CNN and Fox so I think it is someone legit for a story.

My question to all, is this Constitutional?

My take is- no it is not. How can the State force a union on any one? This is likethe FAA forcing USPA on ALL US skydivers (this is an example not the thread!).

Thank You and Happy New year to all!
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Food for thought, would that be different, say, from the State of NJ outsourcing whole sectors of its labor to Unisys or EDS, and laying off redundant workers?
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

According to the story, the WA State Workers Union starting loosing members do to the dues being used to back political candidates that the workers didn't particularly like, but the Union presidency did.

The Union then went into a contract negotiations with the Governor. The Governor was the Candidate that the Union backed, both with money and an endorsment.

The Union told the Gov that with out the members being forced to join there would be no union, (thus no money and no endorsment). To force them to join, the contract was written that only allowed Union members to be hired by the state and if you didn't join the union, to be fired by the state.

There is a class action law suit and the contract should be declared nul and void eventually (and the Governor and union should be looked at criminally in my opinion) with the state employeees getting their jobs back.

But again is this contract legal?

I do not know any thing about the NJ thing but they do not sound related on face value.

Not quite an exact take.

Washington is NOT a right to work state. Legally, a union can require that all 'represented' workers (as agreed by contract) pay dues to the union. Unless things have changed, there is no requirement to join the union, just pay the $$.

It is legal, by definition as it's spelled out in state law.

Your example is sort-of applicable as no one is forced to work for the state, it is a voluntary position. There are DZ's (mine's one) that DO require USPA membership for all jumpers (students excepted). The DZ can't force you to join USPA , but can prohibit you from jumping there unless you do.

Really no difference.
illegible usually

Let me understand this.

I can "not" be a member of a Union, but it can say it "represents" me? Agaisnt my wishes and then force me to pay its Dues? Because of a State Law?

Then using an Illegal contract (remember it is not legal and binding for me since I am not a member) force the State (A Government Office) to fire me for not being a Union Member?

I do not see how any of it is Legal or Constitutional!

I would be enraged if this had happened to me.

I cannot believe this has not caught the attention of more people here and in the mainstream media.

I would love to here some more points of veiw here.

To force them to join, the contract was written that only allowed Union members to be hired by the state and if you didn't join the union, to be fired by the state.

The main difference I can see is that in the case of NJ EDS and Unisys are responsible for hiring for State of NJ job functions that they service, and they get to hire on terms that are entirely exclusive to them.
Whereas in WA it sounds like the State of WA is responsible for hiring workers and union membership is a requirement for consideration.
I'd be shocked, *shocked* to learn that EDS or Unisys had ever lobbied politicians in NJ.
Another difference is that the union in question is probably not listed on the NYSE.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

this is true. my mom has worked for WA state for i'm guessing about 20 years. she was required to join a union or be fired. what's worse, she keeps being given more responsibilities, but hasn't had a pay raise in a few years, and likely won't be seeing one anytime soon. this doesn't sound like much of a union to me, it sounds more like the mafia.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I'll not argue the point of right or wrong, just the legality.
In this state, it has been legislated that the union bargans for all 'represented workers' that are covered by the contract.
ie Union X bargans for a contract that says all workers get 2 weeks vacation, health benefits, and must be pad according to scale.
The employer is prohibited from hiring anyone and providing pay and benifits different than that negotiated by the union.
Therefore (the argument is) that you have benifited from the unions negotiations, whether you ar ea member or not. As stated, you don't actually have to join the union, you just have to pay the dues.

It is legal because the legislature says it is. There have been many attempts to chage this over the years but all have failed.
illegible usually

As this looks like it will end up a fed court matter, it should be cancelled as a matter of Constitutional Law.

I can not beleive it has gotten to this. The Governor (regardless of party) knows this is not right. Just because it is "not" illegal doen't make it legal.

I am almost willing to change my state of residence to apply for a job and then sue when not hired because of the union thing, but I hate those people so I wont.