billvon

Seems familiar somehow

I saw this today. It reminded me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on what . . .

------------------

NSA documents, study revive questions over Gulf of Tonkin incident

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Government officials in 1964 "deliberately skewed" reports of an attack on U.S. warships in North Vietnam's Gulf of Tonkin, a National Security Agency researcher has determined.

Those reports spurred Congress to grant former President Lyndon Johnson broad power to wage the Vietnam War.

A 56-page report by NSA historian Robert J. Hanyok concludes that while there was no evidence to support the idea that analysts were pressured to deliver intelligence to suit the Johnson administration's position, subsequent reports were "deliberately skewed" to support the claim that an attack had taken place on the night of Aug. 4, 1964.

Hanyok also concludes that after reviewing all of the available evidence on American and Vietnamese actions, no attack happened that night. --By CNN News Assistant David de Sola (Posted 1:20 p.m.)

I saw this today. It reminded me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on what . . .

------------------

NSA documents, study revive questions over Gulf of Tonkin incident

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Government officials in 1964 "deliberately skewed" reports of an attack on U.S. warships in North Vietnam's Gulf of Tonkin, a National Security Agency researcher has determined.

Those reports spurred Congress to grant former President Lyndon Johnson broad power to wage the Vietnam War.

A 56-page report by NSA historian Robert J. Hanyok concludes that while there was no evidence to support the idea that analysts were pressured to deliver intelligence to suit the Johnson administration's position, subsequent reports were "deliberately skewed" to support the claim that an attack had taken place on the night of Aug. 4, 1964.

Hanyok also concludes that after reviewing all of the available evidence on American and Vietnamese actions, no attack happened that night. --By CNN News Assistant David de Sola (Posted 1:20 p.m.)

Maybe it has something to due with our lack intelligence prior to Dec 7, 1941. Vowing never to get caught with our pants down, our government "might have" initiated a policy of starting all future wars on our terms.:P
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

> during the Lewinsky thing-a-ma-bob?

I commend you, sir, for dispensing with all the logic associated with such arguments and getting directly to the "but Clinton got a blowjob!" angle. Usually it takes lesser posters several posts to bend the discussion in such a direction that they can slam their favorite target.

Thanks. I thought I would save us all the time. But I was speaking tongue-in-cheek, so to speak as we seem to keep having the same discussion over and over. The thread titles change, but the characters and discussions remain the same...

We will probably not have the complete picture of the failures in pre-war intelligence for another 30 years when documents are de-classified and the story can be pieced together. My guess is that the truth lies somewhere in the middle and fault, where it exists, will be traced back across many departments and several administrations.

Your reference cleary illustrates that an administration is capable of bending intelligence (or outright lying). I'm still waiting to pass judgement on the current administration until clear evidence arises that that is the case here.

>We will probably not have the complete picture of the failures in pre-war
> intelligence for another 30 years when documents are de-classified and
>the story can be pieced together.

Probably true. Let me write the eventual article for you:

HLS documents, study revive questions over Saddam Hussein WMD claims

Monday, September 18, 2034
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Government officials in 2003 "deliberately skewed" reports of Saddam Hussein's WMD programs to make the case for war, a National Security Agency researcher has determined.

Those reports spurred Congress to grant former President George W. Bush broad power to wage the Iraq War.

A 56-page report by NSA historian Janet Powell concludes that while there was no evidence to support the idea that analysts were pressured to deliver intelligence to suit the Bush administration's position, subsequent reports were "deliberately skewed" to support the claim that Saddam Hussein had active WMD programs prior to the US invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Powell also concludes that after reviewing all of the available evidence on American and Iraqi investigations, no WMD's were present shortly before the invasion.

>it takes lesser posters several posts to bend the discussion in such a direction that they can slam their favorite target.

Listen to him guys - he's an expert.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>We will probably not have the complete picture of the failures in pre-war
> intelligence for another 30 years when documents are de-classified and
>the story can be pieced together.

Probably true. Let me write the eventual article for you:

HLS documents, study revive questions over Saddam Hussein WMD claims

Monday, September 18, 2034
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Government officials in 2003 "deliberately skewed" reports of Saddam Hussein's WMD programs to make the case for war, a National Security Agency researcher has determined.

Those reports spurred Congress to grant former President George W. Bush broad power to wage the Iraq War.

A 56-page report by NSA historian Janet Powell concludes that while there was no evidence to support the idea that analysts were pressured to deliver intelligence to suit the Bush administration's position, subsequent reports were "deliberately skewed" to support the claim that Saddam Hussein had active WMD programs prior to the US invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Powell also concludes that after reviewing all of the available evidence on American and Iraqi investigations, no WMD's were present shortly before the invasion.

Eventual article?:D
A fiction book or pipe dream maybe but that must be good stuff you are smokin....:P

Keep hopin
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln