masterblaster72

Evangelism and the Air Force

…surely you don’t mean to say that everyone that has a problem at the Academy is some wussy that is complaining about the problems they have.

Actually, please reread my post. I said that I can see some valid complaints about evangelism at the academy. My post related a personal experience I had with said evangelism.

Did I report it? No. Would others? Perhaps. I have a feeling that more people would report it today than they would have when I was there. Many more people are a lot quicker to yell "Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!" nowadays. In a lot of cases, they're right. In a lot of cases, I think they may be a bit premature.

Did I personally feel "oppressed" or "offended" in any way by my professor's actions? Not really. I am not the type to get offended. I am the type, rather, to take your opinion, think it over, then tell you why you are wrong in the most logical and reasonable fashion possible. ;)

See the difference?
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

This whole thing is just retarded. If they did push it on these Jewish cadets, then fine, reprimand their asses. But seriously, this PC world is such bullshit. Everyone needs to stop caring so damn much about when and where someone says "God," prays, etc. If you don't like "...under God..." in our pledge of alligience, I don't give a shit. Don't say the words if it makes you feel better. People need to quit bitching and just get on w/ their lives. Sorry for the rant, but people who complain about PC issues are complete d bags.

This whole thing is just retarded. If they did push it on these Jewish cadets, then fine, reprimand their asses. But seriously, this PC world is such bullshit. Everyone needs to stop caring so damn much about when and where someone says "God," prays, etc. If you don't like "...under God..." in our pledge of alligience, I don't give a shit. Don't say the words if it makes you feel better. People need to quit bitching and just get on w/ their lives.

An official saying he reserves the right to 'evangelize the unchurched' isn't a matter of PC. It's a matter of our government's commitment to upholding the constitution. Your "then fine, reprimand them...but PC is bullshit" attitude is the reason why the religious right is having such an easy time infiltrating our government institutions. Not what the founding fathers intended.

Sorry for the rant, but people who complain about PC issues are complete d bags.

Like I said, it's not about PC. But thanks for indirectly calling me a d bag.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Well it depends on how you take "evangelize the unchurched." I think he has the right to express his opinion/views on religion, but he does not have the right to force it on someone else, i.e. use it against them if they don't concede. You're right, that's not PC crap if he does so. I guess I was just fuming about the broad PC crap that stems from the topic of religion...such as saying "under God" in the pledge of alleigence, or praying at ceremonies. Neither of those two are forcing religion on anyone...people who complain about stuff like that are d bags. My reasoning for that is people are just dumb who can't just live thier life and let others live their's...who cares if someone prays around you, just let it go. And if you can't, you're a douche bag (that's my opinion).

Well it depends on how you take "evangelize the unchurched." I think he has the right to express his opinion/views on religion, but he does not have the right to force it on someone else, i.e. use it against them if they don't concede.

It was a paraphrase of a code of ethics handed out at the Air Force Chaplain School that included the statement "I will not proselytize from other religious bodies, but I retain the right to evangelize those who are not affiliated." Although not actually Air Force policy, it could certainly be mistaken for it, given the setting in which it was delivered.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>I guess I was just fuming about the broad PC crap that stems from
>the topic of religion...such as saying "under God" in the pledge of
> alleigence, or praying at ceremonies. Neither of those two are
> forcing religion on anyone...

Interesting. So how do you feel about the prayer issue below? Should she be allowed to open governmental meetings with a prayer?

-----------------------------------------
Wiccan Priestess Loses High Court Appeal By GINA HOLLAND, Associated Press Writer
Tue Oct 11,10:24 AM ET

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court rejected an appeal on Tuesday from a Wiccan priestess angry that local leaders would not let her open their sessions with a prayer.

Instead, clergy from more traditional religions were invited to pray at governmental meetings in Chesterfield County, Va., a suburb of Richmond.

Lawyers for Cynthia Simpson had told justices in a filing that most of the invocations are led by Christians. Simpson said she wanted to offer a generalized prayer to the "creator of the universe."

Wiccans consider themselves witches, pagans or neo-pagans, and say their religion is based on respect for the Earth, nature and the cycle of the seasons.
------------------------------------------

Interesting...well we could put it this way, lets go with the majority. I'd be willing to be that the majority of the attending members do not want to hear a paegon praying. However, if there's no choice and she prays anyways, then just ignore it if it makes you happy, let her do her thing and you do yours. If there's a cermeony or something in which the majority of the people do not want to hear a prayer, then I suppose it should be stricken, but if there's no choice, then again, they can just ignore it and go on. It's all the incessent bitching that's annoying as hell.