Novad135

Rib Height

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know the rib height of various canopies. I know they change across the span of the canopy so the end cell would be easiest to measure. I want the height at the highest part of the airfoil. It will be close to the center of the A-B lines. I want to build a model of a parachute just like one would build an RC plane wing. I would like to be as accurate as possible so any help would be awesome. I was thinking of making a fully elliptical replica. let me know what you got. Whip out the tape measures please.
Thanks in advance. I guess I would need size and model to help with scale. PD Posts the end cell chord I believe.

You might check out this thread and consider contacting the guy that started it. He is building a canopy so I imagine he has lots of measurements you might be interested knowing

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4822192#4822192
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

when you scale them down, the physics go out the window...its starts to be a guessing and then tinkering game... ive made probably 20 mini parachutes of almost every flavor, from 5 square feet to 30 sq feet. Both crossbraced and non. I've had decent results with 15% thickness at about the 25% from the nose as a good starting point. Thinner airfoils go faster and are more sensitive to trim. Thicker airfoils tend to have better slow flight and stall characteristics and you can be a little sloppier with the line trims... if you move the thickest part forward, itll move the center of lift forward and it will recover faster and fly flatter at a given trim as well as being more stable, vs further back itll be a steeper glide and less stable...pm me and i can give you some more info and if youre nice ill even take some pictures of my rib patterns i have saved for the last 5 or 6 ive made... also a lot of parachutes, especially elliptical ones use different airfoils on the ends entirely than the rest of the parachute.. theyre not just scaled smaller and thrown in, theyre designed to do a certain task at that place of the wing. So the end rib shape does not necessarily represent whats going on with the majority of the wing....

all that being said, have fun, plan on making lots of trim adjustments to get it opening and flying right... its a lot of fun and when its all made, bring it out to the dz and wow your friends...

https://youtu.be/I_m9zolvt8E
https://youtu.be/Z9z604cMwJw
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...