quade

Alternative Energy System

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/09/09/backpack.reut/index.html

Um . . . no.

Seriously, why didn't the reporter catch this?

This is more than enough electricity to simultaneously power an MP3 music player, a personal digital assistant, night vision goggles, a handheld global positioning satellite navigation device, and a mobile telephone.

So, uh, lemme get this straight . . . you want me to wear an 85 pound backpack so I can power equipment I could have powered with some AA batteries?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

> you want me to wear an 85 pound backpack so I can power equipment I
>could have powered with some AA batteries?

I think the point is that if you happen to be carrying an 85 pound backpack, it can generate power. I don't carry more than about 50 pounds when I'm overnight hiking, but some people carry a shitload of stuff.

There are half a dozen devices like this, from self-winding watches that use the energy of your arm swinging to piezo generators that attach to shoes. Most mechanical pedometers use this source of energy to count steps.

Well, the article implies (not that it's necessarily accurate) that the backpack itself (empty weight) is 85 pounts.

Now, I'm no scientician, but, seems to me that carrying 85 pounds of stuff on your back for any extended period of time is -probably- going to cost more in calories than what is implied by the article; one snack bar.
quade -

But if you were hiking with such weights it would be quite a good free system instad of using up valuable batteries.

That would assume several things but I think chief among them is that you'll be constantly hiking.

I suppose if you where going to walk across the U.S. this would be a safe assumption, but I would think a FAR simplier solution would be a small solar panel attached to the top of the backpack which would provide energy even during rest stops or prolonged camps and probably be FAR lighter to boot.

Fer instance;
http://www.globalsolar.com/oem.htm
quade -

> Well, the article implies (not that it's necessarily accurate) that the
>backpack itself (empty weight) is 85 pounts.

Oh, I didn't get that idea at all. It seems to be saying that if you had an 85 pound pack, you could add this system to it for some negligible increase in weight and get additional power.

How about throwing a generator on a stationary bike, connecting it to your TV and peddling your way through your favorite shows. Can't watch if you don't pedal...could help with the obesity problem. :)
FallRate

I keep telling my patients that this would be the best way for them to get up and motivate to exercise. So many of them are couch potatoes!

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

>I keep telling my patients that this would be the best way for them to get up and motivate to exercise.

http://www.humboldt.edu/~ccat/pedalpower/inventions/realgoods_text.htm

"It is Bart's hope that one day each of the bikes will be connected up to a varity of electrical appliances in an interactive display which does more than simply charge a battery bank."

So, did he finally do it?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon