skinnyshrek

GAS STATIONS IN FLORIDA

I'm agreeing with Bill on this one - find ways to minimise the amount of gas you use. It's not gonna be hard for most of you to get a car that doubles you mpg, which will effectivly cut your fuel bill in half. Before you lynch me for the suggestion then:

a) you'll have to come to England to do it where you still couldn't get to me because you'd be stuck really whinging at the gas prices.

b) I do understand that some people do need to have big vehicles for bussiness - but in that case you pass the added cost onto the customer (if your bussiness is not economical then it will suffer, if it offers a good service at good value then it'll survive - capitalisim...) how many people actually NEED a huge truck though?

I'm originally from the UK and relocated to the US 10 years ago.

There's a big difference between UK travel and US travel. In the US things are not set up in the same way. Many towns do not have a commercial town center the same way a town in the UK is set up. It is often necessary to drive a great deal more than the average UK driver would.

I live in New England where a commute of an hour is considered average. I drive 25 miles each way to work. It's 30 miles to the school, and 100 miles to the dropzone. In addition, public transport SUCKS! In the UK it's pretty easy to find a bus or train to anywhere - it's nothing like that here in the US, especially on a local level, unless you live in a major city with an underground system.

Cheap gas in the US has led to a society that is based around driving places, the hike in gas prices will have significantly greater impact on US society than an equal rise in UK prices, IMHO.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

You beat me to it. I was born and raised in the UK Blackpool actually. The public transport is 2nd to none. You can get anywhere in the Uk on public transport. Over in the states its much more different. Unless you live in the city and work in the city then the average joe commutes. Even if you minimise your driving you still have to goto work which in some cases i know people driving 50-60 miles.
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

You beat me to it, Only you didn't mention that public transport over here is NOT as amazing as what it is being made out to be, though it is much better compared to what is availiable in the US. I agree with the fact that US society is far more spread out and that cars are a way of life - hence did not say get rid of cars because that would not be possible for most people.

Well, I didnt realize that Badger had moved from the US, so he's well aware of the differences, unlike most people in the UK who might not understand that most USians dont have much of a choice as far as the mileage travelled by an average person.

Of course better gas mileage is a good idea. You'd be an idiot to say different. Do people NEED big trucks? do people NEED sports cars? Do people NEED anything more than a working public transportation system.

Talking about what would be nice (moving closer to work, buying a new car) does not address the reality - which is that there's a lot of cars on the road, Americans drive about 3x the mileage (based on my limited experience) than the British, and that gas prices are incredibly high now.

Suggestions like move somewhere closer to work (or work closer to home) are unrealistic in the short term. Sell your gas guzzler and buy a more economical car? Thats GREAT! except that the gas guzzler you bought 3 years ago is now so devalued that the trade in isnt enough to put a deposit on the now overpriced little car.

Even if these ideas were feasible, it still doesnt take into account that oil consumption is out of control, as China and other developing countries continue to increase consumption the prices can only get higher as we hit the mythical 'peak oil'. What really angers me is that the Peak Oil "prophets" were completely ignored for years as being naysayers and spreading lies and rumors and that supply would match demand. In less than 12 months it's turned 180 degrees and there's a panic on oil futures. Just because Exxon et al suddenly realized they'd completely fucked up their reserve calculations, bringing home the point that oil is a limited resource that we've been happily using up.

The current run seems as much a speculative bubble as the whole intarweb stuff of the 90s, but it still illustrates the scary reality that everything is tied to oil and it's availability.

There needs to be a huge philosophical shift within the US (and other developed countries) away from fossil fuels and towards more useful alternatives (I just starting to look at the veg oil alternatives). I'm not sure that can happen while the world places such an emphasis on oil as a key to financial markets.

It's a fair point that the 2nd hand car market is just about bottemed out at the moment so it doesn't make sense in the short term to sell you car - but cars a mechanical objects with a limited life span. Play with numbers and at some point you'll hit a point that there is no point pouring money into a vehicle with associated old age & fuel costs and find a more economical alternative.

High gas prices are here to stay, though hopefully they actually stabilise and drop real soon for you guys over there (however temporarily it last...) Maybe now people will start thinking about consumption when they do get their new (or second hand) cars.

There needs to be a huge philosophical shift within the US (and other developed countries) away from fossil fuels and towards more useful alternatives (I just starting to look at the veg oil alternatives). I'm not sure that can happen while the world places such an emphasis on oil as a key to financial markets.

Is that philosophy not beginning to change with this recent drama, people now have an increased awareness that gas prices can and will increase and that they need to find ways to try and limit the long term effects of those changes on their lifestyles?

Eventually people are going to get priced of the roads and at that point they'll be FORCED to find a viable alternative.

Maybe i should start a rumour that lawn mower blades are running out..:D Maybe get a few more clients

They are-I need a blade set for my 40" Murray and no one has any around here, all on back order. I'm calling my congressman to request a probe
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

I'm not sure it is beginning to happen. Right now we're in the 'lets bitch about it' phase. Domestically we're being told "High gas prices are nothing to moan about when you relate it to the tragedy" rather than any meaningful discussion about beating the hell out of car manufacturers into giving decent, reliable and economical alternatives.

I think that you're correct that it will be a force change, unfortunately.