SkyDekker

China and Taiwan

Do me a favor...refrain from the racist remarks please. Other than that spew all the politically incorrect shit you want...it makes for an interesting read. :P

Point taken... :$
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The Chinese are living in interesting times.

Perhaps one day they will be free from those who hold them by their collective necks

Not quite sure that will happen, Jeanne. Chinese culture is driven, still today, by Confusius school of thoughts. It makes for a very pyramidal society, on top of which sits an "alpha" power. It used to be the emperor; then, after power struggles among different war lords, it was Chang Kai shek; then Mao; then Deng Xiao Ping; and now the party. Once the party collapses, it will probably be replaced by another form of authority. What's important to understand though, is that in China, the rights of the family by far supercede what we know as the Human Rights. The average Chinese person cares a lot less about individual rights than it does the rights of the father, elder son, etc... over the family unit. A much stronger unit than what we have in the West, albeit much different as well.
TO think that our political system is the best there is in any situation is, I believe, fighting the wrong battle. There is no political model for a country the size of China (I would hardly call India a happier society), so China is slowly building its own. Outrageous capitalism moderated once in a while by extreme social mesures. Interesting time, you are right.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

The Chinese are living in interesting times.

Perhaps one day they will be free from those who hold them by their collective necks

I agree. I have read a few books on China and I have good friends and family that do business in China...even own 49% of a factory. China is really growing and will be taking over that section of the world soon no doubt, and we are providing the cash advances for that boom. Chinese public is also growing and very modern, even by our standards. Most people think of China as a concept they have seen in movies, and that is not at all the case. Too bad we cannot apply some of their laws here, we might have a thing or two to learn from them!

Nonetheless, it would be stupid to fight for that island.

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"