sfzombie13

minimum wage increase killed by republicans

At a true research university (minimum $100 million in research expenditure per year) there is absolutely no way a professor can obtain tenure without quite a number of graduate students doing research for him or her, just how those crazy liberal education types think.

It amazes me that you can't comprehend that education is necessary for these assistantships. If you think that people should be required to pay five figures per year to have the possibility of getting these jobs, then that simply dumbfounds me.

It is apparent that you have no clue about he economics of research universities. Research does not make money for any university. PhD programs are money losers. They exist because that's part of the university mission, not because they are profit centers. Sometimes a patent is obtained, or something is commercialized, but overall universities lose money on PhD research. External grants and contracts obtained by the faculty do not cover the true costs of the research.

Your PhD studies are actually being subsidized by the taxpayers of Illinois and the tuition paying undergraduates at UIUC. You are getting a free education, plus enough money to provide food and housing, while you pursue your degree. Whining about your lot in life, which is actually pretty good and a damn site better than poorly educated folks in minimum wage jobs, does not become you.

I never denied any of this nor indicated otherwise. I merely stated that you are wrong to believe that grad student work is solely for their own benefit. I can tell you my advisor is benefiting just as much, actually probably more in my case as I don't intend to go into academia nor reserach and he is coming up on tenure very soon.

So how did you go about getting your degrees? Did you abuse the system also?

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

At a true research university (minimum $100 million in research expenditure per year) there is absolutely no way a professor can obtain tenure without quite a number of graduate students doing research for him or her, just how those crazy liberal education types think.

It amazes me that you can't comprehend that education is necessary for these assistantships. If you think that people should be required to pay five figures per year to have the possibility of getting these jobs, then that simply dumbfounds me.

It is apparent that you have no clue about he economics of research universities. Research does not make money for any university. PhD programs are money losers. They exist because that's part of the university mission, not because they are profit centers. Sometimes a patent is obtained, or something is commercialized, but overall universities lose money on PhD research. External grants and contracts obtained by the faculty do not cover the true costs of the research.

Your PhD studies are actually being subsidized by the taxpayers of Illinois and the tuition paying undergraduates at UIUC. You are getting a free education, plus enough money to provide food and housing, while you pursue your degree. Whining about your lot in life, which is actually pretty good and a damn site better than poorly educated folks in minimum wage jobs, does not become you.

I never denied any of this nor indicated otherwise. I merely stated that you are wrong to believe that grad student work is solely for their own benefit. I can tell you my advisor is benefiting just as much, actually probably more in my case as I don't intend to go into academia nor reserach and he is coming up on tenure very soon.

So how did you go about getting your degrees? Did you abuse the system also?

I didn't say you are abusing the system. I said you are showing ingratitude for what the system is providing you. Your PhD will, on average, raise your earnings potential by around $20k/year for the rest of your working life. Getting it for free seems like a good deal to me.

I was also the beneficiary of the largesse of the taxpayer and my university. I never whined about how I was being exploited, though.

By the way, your professor may benefit his career from your research, but he isn't your "employer", he's just another employee of the university.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.