TypicalFish

Cheney's Lesbian Daughter...

yes, but one's sexuality is considered to be something private still in our society. There is nothing wrong with it but you don't use another person to make your point (which is what Kerry did). Kerry could make his point without getting personal.

Intelligent life DOES exist in here... Thank goodness...

So your analogy is bunk.

That's your opinion...

It's also my opinion that one plus one equals two.

Edited to add: And I notice that you haven't addressed even a single one of the extremely intelligent criticisms of your nonsensical post. Just once it would be nice to see one of the attack dogs on here admit, "Yeah, you have a point. I overreacted. Looking back, I see that I said didn't make sense."

It continues to show that logic, reason, and fact play no part in your discussion. It's nothing more than an ongoing effort to push emotional buttons to rile up anger and fear. Truth plays no part here.

The few people reading these posts who have brain cells firing know what I mean.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Everyone knows that when you run for political office, your personal life and those of your of your family members become very public.

Or "fair game" as one memeber of the Kerry campaign so succintly stated. :S

There was no reason for Edwards or Kerry to refer to Cheney's daughter during the course of the debates. It served no purpose and did not answer the question being presented. That is why I have a problem with it being discussed by them. I would have found it far more acceptable if Bush or Cheney had referred to the daughter and Kerry/Edwards had simply responded. However, because they initiated the topic (twice!) and it didn't answer the question, I believe it was a more underhanded attempt to discourage conservative voters from the Bush/Cheney ticket.

You don't have to be crude to make an underhanded comment meant to harm someone else. (the Bush campaign, in this case) Wrap up a passive/aggressive sentiment in a pretty, complimentary package and then you're true meaning seems a little more ambiguous, does it not?
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

That's kind of the point I was trying to make. The only people upset about this seem to be people who think that lesbian is an insult, not a factual descriptor.

Sticking a feather up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Oh yeah? Well some people think cucumbers taste better pickled! :P

I think is is a perfect analogy...

If I want to talk about my daughter that is one thing.. If you do it I will kick your ass...

That is how it goes... Someone needs to inject COMMON SENSE in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:S It is Not a perfect analogy. Get real. Calling a lesbian a lesbian is NOT an insult. Kerry didn't say anything out of line. You people are trying to make a big deal out of nothing. Step out of the dark ages already.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

The ONLY people who are offended here are those who stand to gain by being offended. They are pretending.

Those who have a RIGHT to be offended aren't.

Sticking a feather up your ass does not make you a chicken.

Good points; all of them!
Keith

The mother has a right to be offended at the exploitation of her daughter's sexuality, and apparently she is. She sounded pretty convincing when she said she was "indignant". According to you it's open season on anyone who has something to gain. In reality your bias means you just don't give a crap about the exploitation of this woman if it aids Kerry's campaign.

The word lesbian is not the issue, and IMHO the hesitant way he said it implies none of the silly negative things people seem to be claiming. However there's more to citing Cheney's daughter out of the blue than some random example. Politicians like Kerry don't do random things or use off the cuff examples on an issue like this, this was calculated, triangulated and strategized.

Let Kerry pick someone else to discuss their sexuality in his campaign speeches and maybe he'll have the decency to ask their permission first.

He plain shouldn't be exploiting the sexuality of his opponent's daughter in his campaign speeches.

First off you need to stop making things up and implying I said things I didn't. It makes you look like an idiot.

Second - talk about exploiting. The right has done an excellent job of that for decades. Suggesting Cheney's daughter be asked a question is NOT exploitation.

Third - I feel a bit of compassion for Cheney. It was clear watching him in the debate that he wanted to, but couldn't publicly support his daughter - he clearly loves her very much. He's stuck between a rock and a hard place and it was evident on his face.
Keith

The mother has a right to be offended at the exploitation of her daughter's sexuality, and apparently she is. She sounded pretty convincing when she said she was "indignant". According to you it's open season on anyone who has something to gain. In reality your bias means you just don't give a crap about the exploitation of this woman if it aids Kerry's campaign.

The word lesbian is not the issue, and IMHO the hesitant way he said it implies none of the silly negative things people seem to be claiming. However there's more to citing Cheney's daughter out of the blue than some random example. Politicians like Kerry don't do random things or use off the cuff examples on an issue like this, this was calculated, triangulated and strategized.

Let Kerry pick someone else to discuss their sexuality in his campaign speeches and maybe he'll have the decency to ask their permission first.

He plain shouldn't be exploiting the sexuality of his opponent's daughter in his campaign speeches.

In answer to a direct question about homosexuality:

Kerry: "We're all God's children. I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was, she's being who she was born as."

In answer to a direct question from Cokie Roberts about her openly gay daughter in an interview in 2000, Lynne Cheney said "My daughter has never declared such a thing."

Lynne Cheney apparently has a problem accepting her daughter's sexuality. Perhaps that's why she's so "indignant" now at mention of it.

Dick Cheney has one of the most anti-gay voting records of any current or former congressman.

First off you need to stop making things up and implying I said things I didn't. It makes you look like an idiot.

Second - talk about exploiting. The right has done an excellent job of that for decades. Suggesting Cheney'sdaughter be asked a question is NOT exploitation.

Third - I feel a bit of compassion for Cheney. It was clear watching him in the debate that he wanted to, but couldn't publicly support his daughter - he clearly loves her very much. He's stuck between a rock and a hard place and it was evident on his face.

First off I didn't put words into your mouth. You sought to dismiss anyone's opinion who might have something to gain, the rest is a natural consequence of your approach. Your ad hominem attack calling me an idiot is a cheap tactic but your post is there for all to see. In this case those who might have something to gain includes the entire family and most associates of the woman involved so it's open season on her and no defense is even possible because according to you it can only be driven by the selfish motive. As for the rest, it only demonstrates that your opinions are entirely partisan in this and you've ignored the central issue with hand waving about the nasty right. Looking at Cheney I got a different impression, his daughter's sexuality had been dragged intio the debate without her permission and he was outraged by Edwards tactic, what he couldn't express was his disgust at Edwards. Kerry compounded the issue.

Your third comment is *exactly* the sort of political effect they were after with their cynical exploitation of this woman.

In answer to a direct question about homosexuality:

Kerry: "We're all God's children. I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she's being who she was, she's being who she was born as."

In answer to a direct question from Cokie Roberts about her openly gay daughter in an interview in 2000, Lynne Cheney said "My daughter has never declared such a thing."

Lynne Cheney apparently has a problem accepting her daughter's sexuality. Perhaps that's why she's so "indignant" now at mention of it.

Dick Cheney has one of the most anti-gay voting records of any current or former congressman.

Sounds more like an "it's none of your damned business" kind of remark. This illustrates the problem here, we have a woman who never asked for her sexuality to be discussed nationally and everything is cynically interpreted through a prism of supposed prejudice. How the hell do you know what relationship she has with her Mother? Pure speculation and colored by what you hope and imagine to be there. It's your demons speaking not Cheney's.