dthames

Smoke ankle mount, wingsuit

I published an article about smoke brackets "Wowing the Crowd" (CANPARA Magazine circa 1984).
All ankle smoke brackets start with cylindrical smoke cannisters (about the same size as a Coke can.) Wrap two pipe clamps around the smoke cannister, then wrap the clamps around a metal plate. The metal plate (aluminum or steel) wraps around your boot and is secured with a strap.

Various smoke brackets mount cannister(s) on top of your toes, alongside your foot or on the back of your heel. Wingsuit booties are not compatible with toe- mounted canisters, so wing-suiters tend to prefer side-mounted smoke cannisters. Please ensure that your suit will not rub on the smoke cannister, because they can get hot enough to burn expensive holes in your expensive suit.

The metal plate/frame wraps 2/3 of the way around your foot.
My first smoke bracket (courtesy of the Canadian Forces Parachute Demonstration Team: Skyhawks) wraps over my instep and is secured with a pack-opening-band.
My second smoke bracket has an aluminum toe pocket, with a strap that wraps around my heel.
My third smoke bracket looks like the "spurs" worn by CF-104 pilots and is secured by a strap that wraps over my instep.
All those straps can be quickly released by tugging on a loose end or Fastex buckle.
The strap should be about a metre long, with an ankle strap on the top. The ankle strap stays attached to the jumper for the entire jump. The extra metre prevents dropping a hot smoke cannister in the crowd.

riggerrob

I published an article about smoke brackets "Wowing the Crowd" (CANPARA Magazine circa 1984).
All ankle smoke brackets start with cylindrical smoke cannisters (about the same size as a Coke can.) Wrap two pipe clamps around the smoke cannister, then wrap the clamps around a metal plate. The metal plate (aluminum or steel) wraps around your boot and is secured with a strap. .

would this by chance be the Z-skulls?? i know they use to make them unsure if they still do.