hackish

Tacker Adjustments?

I bought a Brother 430D. Decided on this over the Juki only because it's the machine PD uses. Every time I've bought a used machine it needed major repairs first. Wish I had bought new.

Anyway, after replacing all the cutter and nipper components as well as repairing the burned out stepper motor driver on the controller board and removing a golf ball size pile of lint it's mechanically and electrically sound.

I'm having some issues with stitching. PD was kind enough to provide me with their center start tack pattern so I know it's not the file.

Top Side

Bottom Side

I loaded red in the bottom and sewed 2 layers of ty4 just to illustrate the problem. Tension seems inconsistent and I've even tried slowing to 1800 stitches per minute. I have replaced the thread takeup spring as well since it was broken. Any ideas on what I should be doing here other than paying the local sewing machine mechanic to learn how to set it up?

-Michael

I would try pulling the bobbin thread out by hand, as well as the upper thread, with the foot down. Notice if there is a very even tension pull when doing this. If not, on the bobbin, check to see if it is in the case the right way. see if it is fouled on the bobbin. Remove tensioner on bobbin case and look for dirt under it. On the top thread, clean tension discs check thread routing, see if it is lifting off the spool with no restrictions. If there are any restrictions in either thread, it could cause a pattern like in your photos. Try a piece of lighter material. If it puckers both tensions may be too tight. Good Luck

Thanks. Good ideas. I did have the bobbin flipped and this seemed to improve the tension slightly. I only use brand name Brother parts because of bad experience with chinese clones. Since all the rest of the machine seemed to be worn out and beat up maybe the bobbin tension plate should be replaced. It feels consistent when I pull it out but the tension inconsistencies do seem to change when I move sewing speed up.

Do you think I should buy a tension gauge to set it up exactly to the factory specs?

-Michael

Bobbin tension finger is probably ok, but replace it anyway. Get that out of the picture. If problem is speed related, maybe drawing out the take up spring and give it another turn to increase the take up spring pressure. It may be floating. If it makes no difference, put it back where it was. One of these tips might just make a difference.

gb1

Bobbin tension finger is probably ok, but replace it anyway. Get that out of the picture. If problem is speed related, maybe drawing out the take up spring and give it another turn to increase the take up spring pressure. It may be floating. If it makes no difference, put it back where it was. One of these tips might just make a difference.

That could be possible. The spring was broken among many other things when I got the machine so I just installed a new one and played with it a bit to make sure it didn't skip any stitches.

I feel like whomever the previous owners were got rid of the machine because it was worn out and acting up on them. I'll see what the mechanic says/does but I don't have a lot of confidence because I don't know that he's even worked on a tacker before.

-Michael