tkhayes

Para that wants to learn how to skydive - need advice

8 years ago, I took this James Morning on a tandem skydive. He is C6-C7 para from an injury. Has no movement below his waist, but he does have feeling.

We did great, bound his ankles and knees with some homemade straps, hiked his legs up using them after the canopy was open - the dive went flawlessly.

James showed up again and did another tandem last weekend, also did well, but is now interested in learning to jump regularly.

He is 140lbs and strong like an ox in the upper body. I think he is a great candidate, assuming we can figure out some apparatus to keep his legs 'fixed' while in freefall.

We have access to the wind tunnel as well, so that will be a requirement I would think, but I (he) am looking for any help, information, similar folks out there and what equipment you have, etc to help us plan this out OK.

Any info? Ideas? Pictures? you can contact James directly at [email protected] if you want to discuss with him.

Thanks for any input

TK Hayes
Skydive City

I read your post, I am a para that got hurt @ Quincy in 2001 & I have regained allot since then... enough that I now walk with crutch's. I meet you before I got hurt, I'm from the Ranch if you want send me an email & I'll tell you the best way to do it. my email is [email protected]
Stephen
Men get laid, but women get screwed.
I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid.

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man.

Hi TK,

I think your the same fellow my coach Angus has been talking to.

If so, good to 'cyber' meet you.

Were going into the wind tunnel with Angus and FuzzyDave next month.

I posted a thread in this forum, and have a photo of the pants the rigger made to help me remain stable.
We will use knee braces that lock in 11 different angles.
The optimum angle will be determined in the tunnel.

Angus will have some update for you I'm sure by end of April.
We will have plenty of video also.

Be well and remain strong,
-minna
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

Sorry TK I failed you all.

I did not accomplish anything past 4 AFF dives,
3 of which were repeats of the 2nd dive.

Nil in progress and scared Angus out of this altogether.
I wish I had better news to share, and help to offer.
You can see the videos of my first aff on youtube under the nickname extremewheelchairs. The other dives I will get video up sometime, but they show the instability we had at time to pull.

sorry.
I'm looking to find a new way to get this done.
like everyone else i guess.
[:/]

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

gimpboogie

Did you ever get a support to keep your thighs up as well?

I pencil sketched a corset type support that goes round the central part of your body and is made form possibly strong plastic or better, and then off that are some pieces that go down the front of your thighs and then tightened to the corset piece..

At the back of the thigh you would have the same thing with straps that hold your thighs back also.

basically meaning the position of your thighs can be set...to offer better arch, flatter etc

And then the student would use a similiar knee brace like you talked about that kept the knees bent at an optimum position.

Im not sure how this would work in practice and would take a fair bit of developing but technically it would be possible to at least get the legs in a decent position to start