bershadsky

aff cours for a deaf studant

Hey, my name is Itay and im an instructor (AFF, TANDEM, freefly) fron Israel.
today i met during a lecture about skydiving 2 frainds from my childhood which r neturaly born deaf.
they asked about skydiving cours and my 1st unswer was "not posible" but somehow they managed to make me thinking second thoughts.
they both scubadiving instructors, tour guids for deaf people, and students in a normal university, 1 of them just came back after 1 year trip to india.
i realy want you to help me out solving technical problems like giving landing instructions on the radio and other things i need to know.
pleas replay to [email protected] & [email protected]
visit our web site at www.paradive.co.il
thanks alot ITAY BERSHADSKY

do what I did... have staff teach deaf the AFF jump one on one. not in class. as for radio? why need radio? that's for sissys... get a long mat or something in shape of arrow or make a arrow out of PVC pipe be sure It pretty good size arrow so it can be seen from air...

rotate arrow in direction you want them to fly

when they come in to land use warning flags or paddles to hold up (no flare) move down to show when to flare orr left turn / right turn corrections as they get low.

John King of Finger lakes Skydivers had a bunch of deaf first jump students do it this way. worked well.

As far as canopy control:

You also don't need to construct an arrow out of materials. For many years we always made an arrow using our bodies and canopies after we landed. In other words, where my body is in relation to my stretched out canopy, my body is the arrow. Doesnt matter which way I face, if I am standing east of my canopy, student goes East. This has worked for many years without fail, they know both JM's main canopy colors in case one of us has a reserve ride. Plus radios do fail!

This plus nice training on canopy control is BETTER than a radio IMO, as the student tends to learn more rather than just following radio commands (they often don't look at the ground enough with a radio).

ETA: Using the above method, my husband can get students landing within a few feet of him regularly and still assist with the flare. I can get them in the same field close enough to yell it. ;) Of course they are trained to do that themselves withouth help. So I guess the only possible downside is you need to land out in the student landing area to assist the best.

My dropzone used an arrow for canopy control. A big board with a bright fluorescent arrow on top of it, about 4 feet long. They put out a student creeper and used it as the rotating arrow platform.

I was 100% responsible for my own flare timing -- nobody signalled me when to flare. I was told to flare as my feet reached person height -- about 6 feet -- and I was loaded at 0.65:1 and floating down nice and slow so that was a good flare altitude recommendation for me in particular. I do have reasonably good distance perception and I read about the dangers of flaring too early, so I mentally kept saying "dont flare, dont flare, FLARE!"

Stood up my first landing and all but one of my student landings. A few jumps later, when I landed in the peas for the first time - I flared a bit early for the first time - and landed on my butt. Oops.

A flagman can wave a flare signal too - I've heard this be used before.