Scottyb

disabled skydiver world record?

Hi everyone,
My sister is disabled (cp) and has made a tandem jump. She went to a weekend camp with other people with disabilities and they just had to show the video of her jump. As you can imagine everyone was excited and many said they would love to try it. So I was taking with my sister and jokingly said if we could get enough people with disabilities to jump at one time we can set a world record...hmmm is there a world record for that?

Any thoughts???

Scottyb

scotty
you don't say what her disablitity is..
but there have been many people in wheel chairs and quad too doing tandem skydiver. They require a bit extra care etc to advoid break any bones. I'm sure there's a lot of disabled people out there that would love to do a tandem skydive, but I'm sure they don't know how to go about it.. and dropzones too need to research it, make sure they know how to deaf with certain disabilites.
Mike

Sorry Mike, She has Cerebral Palsy. She does use a wheelchair for mobility and a computer for communication. Most of the other campers also use wheelchairs. When my sister made her jump at Crosskeys the tandem master used a strap to keep her legs together in freefall and also to pull her legs up for the landing that went off without a hitch for a perfect standup landing. I know the logistics for a record would be massive but it could also bring a great awareness that people with disabilities can do just about anything!

It's just a thought, there would have to be fund raisers to help pay for the attempt and tons of volunteers but I think it could be a possibility. I have not even talked to anyone at the DZ about this it's just an idea I'm kicking around, but if I know our fellow skydivers they would rally to a challenge like this. And it would be a hell of a lot of fun for all involved!

I don't think it would have to be limited to persons using a wheelchair, I have done some searching and could not find any record pertaining to this subject so it seems the sky's the limit. My thought is you have to start somewhere and this is a perfect forum to put the idea out there.

Scottyb

Scotty,
Sorry about the typo’s in my earlier post. I was using work computer and keyboard is junk.. So much dirt crud in keys etc on it you have to pound the keys to get it to work.. It sounds like skydive cross key’s really did their homework on the special needs of your sister with CP. A fund raiser / record jumps would be interesting and generate positive publicly too, both on skydiving and the disabled, as well as help change attitudes of the general public towards the disabled.. General Attitude is “they can’t do anything” glad to hear that your sister, lived life a little better, by making a skydive. Now for record jump or publicly on the disabled skydives we’d need sponsorship but I’m not even sure where to start on that…how to get it. Billy Vance was talking about trying to get all the deaf skydivers, Pieces of Eight amputee skydivers and the two known blind skydivers together for a record jump. Think of the publicly we could get.. Blind and deaf skydivers leading amputee’s skydivers..Out the plane. We’d have to find some corporations or organization to do this, and help with expenses of Tandem for students like your sister with CP.
Maybe it could be done as part of a camp? It would take bunch of people to assist, suiting all those people up, getting them in / out aircraft / landing…as well as repacking etc.

Good idea, disabled record skydives.. Now, how do we get money $ sponsorship to do one? I’m sure we could get the media like US / People or magazines, news like 20/20 or something, to cover it..Anyone got any ideas? It’d be nice to try change people attitudes about the disabled. I’m deaf myself, and left arm amputee too, I grew up hearing I can’t do that because I’m deaf, or this because I am a amputee… good thing I didn’t listen to them, or I’d never become a private pilot / skydiver and aircraft mechanic.

It all sounds good, I think our first step is to talk it over with the DZO and see if he thinks it's possible before we start asking for sponsors and $$$$MONEY$$$!!! It would be an awesome thing to do and if we can get Bill Vance and others and put our heads together, with a lot of work and lots of luck it could happen. I wont be over to the drop zone until next weekend but I will talk to the owner and the jumpmasters and see what they have to say. If anyone else has any ideas put them out there and we will see where it goes. Thanks

scott

Hey guys - I've got a bunch of ideas for you... but I think you would first need to narrow down the disabilities that would be participating for solicitation of funds from companies associated with those disabilities.

PM me if you want more ideas.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Thanks for the support, if this idea can be done it will take the help of caring people like you guys & gals to make it happen. If anyone knows someone that may have some ideas on the logistics of the skydiving end of the challenge of multiple disabled tandem jumpers as well as solo disabled jumpers in the air at the same time, any info would be helpful.

A few questions I have is what are the requirements for a record? do all of the jumpers have to link for it to count? Can tandem masters link without fear of the drouge chute getting tangled? Minor details (LOL) for people with disabilities so my sister says. I still have to talk to the DZO and others this weekend and hopefully they will have some ideas.

I'll let everyone know what I find out and if you have any other ideas please let us know.

Scott

Thanks for the support, if this idea can be done it will take the help of caring people like you guys & gals to make it happen. If anyone knows someone that may have some ideas on the logistics of the skydiving end of the challenge of multiple disabled tandem jumpers as well as solo disabled jumpers in the air at the same time, any info would be helpful.

A few questions I have is what are the requirements for a record? do all of the jumpers have to link for it to count? Can tandem masters link without fear of the drouge chute getting tangled? Minor details (LOL) for people with disabilities so my sister says. I still have to talk to the DZO and others this weekend and hopefully they will have some ideas.

I'll let everyone know what I find out and if you have any other ideas please let us know.

Scott

Generally, I have not heard of 2 or more tandems linking up in freefall. I'm not even sure it's been done before. The biggest problem is getting all of them out of the plane in a reasonably rapid fashion. They also just don't fly aerodynamically well as single skydivers do. There have, however, been big ways of skydivers docking on a tandem. There was a picture on the cover of Parachutist some time back of a tandem with 40+ skydivers linked around it. My biggest RW jump with a tandem was an all-deaf 4 way with a deaf tandem passenger being given a ride by a tandem master that signed really well due to having a deaf ex-wife! That was also in Parachutist a few years back.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Scott

Generally, I have not heard of 2 or more tandems linking up in freefall. I'm not even sure it's been done before. The biggest problem is getting all of them out of the plane in a reasonably rapid fashion. They also just don't fly aerodynamically well as single skydivers do. There have, however, been big ways of skydivers docking on a tandem. There was a picture on the cover of Parachutist some time back of a tandem with 40+ skydivers linked around it. My biggest RW jump with a tandem was an all-deaf 4 way with a deaf tandem passenger being given a ride by a tandem master that signed really well due to having a deaf ex-wife! That was also in Parachutist a few years back.

Blue Skies
Billy

Pls check out at http://www.deafskydivers.org/Gallery/All_deafJumps/dGARWT4w01.htm