sducoach

Help with Signing!

Good Day to all!

Flyangle2 was so kind to refer me to you all. I've purchased the book "The Joy of Signing" by Lottie L. Riekehof and am struggling through it.

Mary suggested a cd or video that you may know of. If you have information that would help me please PM me or post back.

Thank you for you help!

Blues,

J.E.

PS.

Why did you not list us guys with "mental disabilities" on your form?????? LOL We're skydivers, we all are a little mentally disabled!!!!!!
James 4:8

I know that you're looking for media material, but another route might be to check out your local community college(s) and/or libraries. They often offer courses in ASL/manual communication. One thing to consider as you're learning, is that it's like any other language. Being able to speak it (however slowly) is not the same as being able to understand it when spoken by a native. Reading sign, when done by someone fluent, is a whole different ballgame than knowing your ABC's. A classroom experience might better enhance your ability to pick it up, and give you a venue to practice signing and reading.

Just a thought-- good luck!

jeesh. if only you lived in texas.. you could give me sdu lessons and i'd give you signing lessons. :D:D but like boxinggirl said, its always alot easier to learn if you can find somebody that is fluent in sign language and communicate with them.. you'll pick it up much faster then just looking in books and stuff.

Good Day to all!

Flyangle2 was so kind to refer me to you all. I've purchased the book "The Joy of Signing" by Lottie L. Riekehof and am struggling through it.

Mary suggested a cd or video that you may know of. If you have information that would help me please PM me or post back.

J.E.
Jody my ex g/f would know.. I'll ask her where to get one. Mike
Thank you for you help!

Blues,

J.E.

PS.

Why did you not list us guys with "mental disabilities" on your form?????? LOL We're skydivers, we all are a little mentally disabled!!!!!!

I know that you're looking for media material, but another route might be to check out your local community college(s) and/or libraries. They often offer courses in ASL/manual communication. One thing to consider as you're learning, is that it's like any other language. Being able to speak it (however slowly) is not the same as being able to understand it when spoken by a native. Reading sign, when done by someone fluent, is a whole different ballgame than knowing your ABC's. A classroom experience might better enhance your ability to pick it up, and give you a venue to practice signing and reading.

Just a thought-- good luck!

You can also check with your state's Department serving the Deaf and Blind. Some regional centers offer sign language classes as well. For example, in Alabama, we have the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind, and most of the big cities and regional cities have AIDB centers. AIDB's sign language classes are taught by Deaf people themselves. Who better to learn from? ;) Food for thought...

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Billy & Crew,

Hey guys, thanks. My problem is that I travel and have a very hard time setting an evening schedule to attend a class. Ozark Community College has adult education and offers a basic and advanced class. I hate to attempt to attend when I know I will miss several of the classes.

I was hoping for some type of video that would allow me to work at home and then attend. I have the alphabet down (get rusty when I don't practice) however, I know that only Idiots as myself spell words out.

I'll check all sources you guys have given me and still hope for additional info. I thank you all very much for your help and input.

Blues,

J.E.

Mike,

Jody said she may start teaching up in Ohio. She's going to help with anything she can find.

She thought my signing at the end of the tape I sent her and the kids was right on, that was when I said I'm a sign language idiot!!!!!!

Thanks Brother!

Blues,

J.E>

I have a signing program for my computer. It's pretty cool. It even has videos of someone signing so you can learn from watching. Like others have said, understanding someone else is much harder than doing the signing to someone. I had to learn ASL about 6 years ago for my job. I only know just enough to get me through basic conversations. One of my most used sentences is "sign slowly please."

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Keep in mind also, that reading sign is different then reading the written English language. Sign is more concepts. I have found that when I'm signing back and forth with one of my deaf clients, I'm not thinking in English. Following the conversation is easy for me, it's when I have to take that concept and put it into spoken English, that I have to change the mind set I have. I have found if I lag behind about five to seven signs coming from my client, that gives me enough time to take that concept and put it into proper spoken English.

Working with a number of different clients, I have found that they all have their own style of signing. That's why, when ever I see John Woo, Richard, or any of the other deaf skydivers, it takes me a little bit to get use to their signing again.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hi - there are also some videos called "Signing Naturallly" They are workbooks with videos... starting very basic and getting much harder. (3 levels). They are great because you can watch a variety of Deaf poeple signing, you can shadow (copy) the videos and answer questions in the book to see if you are understanding. I know you can order them in the US. I used them in my schooling ~ I learned ASL at a college, went through a 2 yr interpreter training program and am now an interpreter. GOOD LUCK!
jade

That's the books I use.."Signing Naturally"
I'm taking ASL2 (I'm taking the class again, as well)
..on another note: a few questions:
Is the next Deaf World Record gonna be a Perris again?

Is any deaf jumpers coming to DZ.COM Mem. Day at Perris?

That's the books I use.."Signing Naturally"
I'm taking ASL2 (I'm taking the class again, as well)
..on another note: a few questions:
Is the next Deaf World Record gonna be a Perris again?

Is any deaf jumpers coming to DZ.COM Mem. Day at Perris?

I know of three that live in the L.A. area, but do not know if they, or anyone else, are going to be there for that boogie.

The next Deaf World Record is going to be at Lake Wales, FL in October 2005.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Howdy!
Just wanted to bring this back-up..
I will not be taking ASL2 this semester..
Due to I decided to work more often part time job, because I want to get my own place,Apt,etc.
HOWEVER, I have all my books, video from class, plus extra resources.
So, to all who know me at Perris Valley (that means you RICHARD if your here, or anyone knows his email??)
Actually I feel I may study more thane my 2.5 hr weekly classes!

Hi Gary,

I have not heard from Richard for some time. I don't even have his current email address on my home computer because I almost always email the deafies from work. :$ I know he doesn't get in here in the forums though.

I'll get his current email from work and pass it on. I don't know what he's been up to these days.

Blue Skies
Billy

Howdy!
Just wanted to bring this back-up..
I will not be taking ASL2 this semester..
Due to I decided to work more often part time job, because I want to get my own place,Apt,etc.
HOWEVER, I have all my books, video from class, plus extra resources.
So, to all who know me at Perris Valley (that means you RICHARD if your here, or anyone knows his email??)
Actually I feel I may study more thane my 2.5 hr weekly classes!

What is Richard's IM name? I'd love to chat with him and give him a hard time. I use to chat with him all the time, long, long ago.

BTW John, what is your chat name?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hi this is gary
Richard is sitting with me at bombshelter perris..
I,ll let him type his info
\hello John This is me richard and i met Gary here and he is learning ASL. We are having good time chat together and one woman here is learning ASL too I am very exciting to get to know them and then u will meet them someday when u are coming here I need to learn and how to get to this new info on dropzone soon and then I will learn as soon when I get home Gary is very great guy and want to learn sign language and I am very glad he is involved with us that is great Anyway I will chat u later when we get online sometime and Just let u know that Gary is very great guy that u will like him
hope to catch u soon and u take good care and take care urself RB Blue skies smile !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!