ajs339

facebook invite for used gear group?

Long time lurker here who just got my A license current after 20 years. Now I'm looking for my first rig, preferably used. I check DZ.com classifieds daily but my size doesn't come up very often.

The facebook group "skydiving gear for sale and wanted" is supposed to be very active but it is by invite/add only. Can a brother get an invite?...Besides saying I'm not a spammer or a scammer what else can I do? I just updated my fb and dz.com profiles to be more open for this ask because usually I'm concerned about privacy. Thanks!

Yep, I check it obsessively like a crack addict.
Also half dozen other low activity sites.
I can afford all new but don't want to be "that guy" who shows up with shiny new stuff and no skillz. A dream deferred is a dream lost meaning I don't want to jump alot til I have my own baby. Patience.
About once a month a big rig is a candidate but nothing yet.

I crossed my DZ website tagged pics to the fb page member seach
and googled stalked..so an invite is on the way I believe.

(edited)..thanks for all the personal mss..FYI: I'm 6'0",190lbs,215lbs(exit) seeking 210-220M and reserve, with rsl, aad ready or included, newer than 15 yo, hopefully able to downsize to 190 much later.(Hey I'm not picky...I'll give it a few more weeks and then probably buy a new custom container. Can you believe the lead/delivery times? )

I'm pretty sure there is a request to join button. It just may take a few days. They've cut down on a lot of the silly bs on the page so it is useful again. I know tons of folks, including myself, that have bought and sold off of there.

ajs339

Yep, I check it obsessively like a crack addict.
Also half dozen other low activity sites.
I can afford all new but don't want to be "that guy" who shows up with shiny new stuff and no skillz. A dream deferred is a dream lost meaning I don't want to jump alot til I have my own baby. Patience.
About once a month a big rig is a candidate but nothing yet.

I crossed my DZ website tagged pics to the fb page member seach
and googled stalked..so an invite is on the way I believe.

(edited)..thanks for all the personal mss..FYI: I'm 6'0",190lbs,215lbs(exit) seeking 210-220M and reserve, with rsl, aad ready or included, newer than 15 yo, hopefully able to downsize to 190 much later.(Hey I'm not picky...I'll give it a few more weeks and then probably buy a new custom container. Can you believe the lead/delivery times? )

If you can afford new and would like new then who gives a shit what people think? I bought new gear while I was still on student status. I guess I'm willing to be "that guy" as long as "that guy" is the type of guy who buys reasonable and safe gear, customizes the colors to be what he wants, seeks advice from instructors before buying, and behaves in a responsible manner. If anyone has a problem with you buying new gear as an A licensed skydiver....well fuck them. (not literally....unless you both want to and then go for it I guess)
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

The OP is the same size as me and it sounds like he is looking to buy the same size rig as I bought 30 years ago.
No great stigma to buying new.
Try phoning around to the major dealers: Aero Store, Chuting Star, Para-Gear, Square One, Square Two and Square Three. Even if they don't have your exact size, they may have an impending production slot that they desperately want to sell.

Finally got into the closed fb site today.
It is VERY active. Ask hillson or me (or member search fb site) for an invite.
Once I find a rig, I will lock down my public web footprint again.
Seriously, DZ.com classifieds are lame by comparison, although appreciated.

Eh, I live by the 82/20 rule. Don't mind the humor just want more gear. 6-7 months ago it was a mess.

And I'm not sure why he said ask me for an invite...I have nothing to do with the page. Just told him to go request one. But hey, as long as it works no biggie.