mountaindrifter

Slider construction questions

I bought a used main a few weeks ago and generally I'm happy with it, but the slider was hastily modified to remove the cords used to collapse the slider and then a pocket type modification was made to the perimeter that resulted in sewing all the openings closed. I'm reluctant to remove the pocket modification because the main is a sabre 1 and I get decent openings out of it now. So my options are to order a new slider from the manufacturer and risk a relatively large expense for consistently poor openings and requiring additional modifications; nearly tearing this slider down all the way to make the necessary repairs while maintaining the modifications; or construct a new slider using this one as a template.

I'm interested in rigging and have experience with sewing upholstery. I have access to the proper materials and tools. I'm not inclined to jump anything I make before having it looked at by at least 2 riggers at my dz. Am I crazy to try making my own slider? Also, are there any resources for slider construction and basic patterns that I can look at before I try this?

J

I have a SA1 with a pocket slider. Mine only has a pocket on the front side of the slider, the back end is standard with full access to draw strings.

Opens perfect every time. Slider collapses and stows without issue.

*Edited for spelling.
Apex BASE

You wouldn't be crazy, but you would be better off just to buy a slider. If you contact PD and tell them what you have and that you want a larger slider they will sell you the modern Saber 2 slider which for most sizes is 31 x 23. The original Saber sliders were usually 19 X 30. Look in the classifieds and you will find people selling Velo sliders brand new because they changed to RDS systems. They are also usually 31 X 23 and will work well with your Saber unless it is 190 or larger, in which case you can use a 31 X 26 inch model.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Go for it! The only thing tough is the grommets -- the tools to set them are costly, so if you'd need to buy the tools, you might decide to just buy a new slider instead.

But if you have the ability/equipment to build a slider, you also have the ability to modify the existing one so that the drawstrings are functional again, so maybe do that first...

Pro-tip...

Not sure if Cypres still comes with this or not but back when I was in the game each unit came with a retro fit kit, which included some F-111/Zero-P ish cable channels.

You can use these for quick and easy drawstring channels, assuming you don't mind your slider having black racing stripes.

For best results, split the channel lengthwise down the adhesive part so you are only adding one layer of fabric to the slider.

The adhesive is nice cuz it helps hold it in place while you sew it down.