hackish

Suggestions for washing tandem harnesses?

After a number of years tandem harnesses are pretty dirty. I've been asked to clean them all. I can understand why! They look like crap even though there is nothing physically wrong with them.

If it was one I'd it it in a tub like I normally do with a H/C but doing a pile of them, this looks like days of work! Anyone got tips/tricks or anything helpful to share?

-Michael

Go to Walmart. Buy a large cloth laundry bag. Put one or two harnesses it it then wash in a old fashion top load washing machine on gentle cycle. Use Tide, don't forget to pre-soak them. Hang to dry.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Go to Walmart. Buy a large cloth laundry bag. Put one or two harnesses it it then wash in a old fashion top load washing machine on gentle cycle. Use Tide, don't forget to pre-soak them. Hang to dry.

This is exactly how I wash my own H&Cs. I use liquid Cheer. Two cycles. I wash them every year.

I put a couple of large bath towels in just to balance the load during spin cycles.

I also stay around and monitor the spin cycle because they can get out of balance.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

gowlerk

Buy a large cloth laundry bag.

You could also use pillow cases, cinched shut with a rubber band.

When I've washed my own containers (usually in a front-loader at the laundromat), I also take an extra step of covering the friction adapters with a sock, also cinched on with a rubber band. Maybe overkill, but I like the idea of the extra protection so there's less chance of metal against metal in the machine.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I like the idea in principle of using a sock on the hardware until you start counting the clanky pieces on a sigma passenger harness.

I did 4 in the tub today but really found the leg pads didn't clean up that well. It was a little amusing the number of pieces of gravel I worked out.

I tried putting them in the washing machine on spin to dry them out but there really isn't that much stuff to hold water in like there is on a rig so I 'm not sure if it made a real difference.

-Michael