skydognz

Wind Tunnel Training

I'm considering a wind tunnel in New Zealand, but am looking for some feedback from all you worldwide skydivers who have had the chance at the tunnel and to comment on its postive use and if its been a help to you, and why?
Blue Skies,
Stitch.

Geese, I think I'm the first to reply to all windtunnel questions so I'm sure most of you are annoyed with that by now but here I go again:)I think the tunnel is an AWESOME *addition* to skydiving. I say *addition* b/c it certainly shouldn't supplement your regular skydiving but it can help you learn new things tremendously. I think I lucked out going very soon as I was going through AFF b/c I learned right away to fall straight down and do my turns, ext in place rather that all over the sky. You don't realize it in freefall but most students are all over the sky when they're turning but the tunnel helps you figure everything out so that not only do you turn but you use all of your body to do so (legs, feet, drop a knee, fold in your arms, ext.) That is just one example but it does that for just about anything you want to do. I've seen skydivers with hundreds of jumps get in the tunnel for the first time and not be able to stay in the middle but fall all over the walls. They, too, are surprised with what the tunnel can do for you. I'm not sure about all tunnels but the one here has mirrors so you can actually do RW w/ yourself and the instructors are always happy to jump in and do 2-way or something with you too so you can learn to transition over top, ext. As for freeflying in the tunnel, I've heard it's just as helpful to learn. I've only done some flying on my back and some freestyle in the tunnel so I can't really say about all freeflying but I've heard it's also a very big help. They have to adjust the winds though and that's why I haven't yet been able to practice freeflying in the tunnel b/c when I used to go, I'd be by myself so they'd throw me in with a tourist group and I'd never get the cool freeflying wind but all the same, they can do it.
Anyways, in a nut shell, I obviously recommend the tunnel. Plus there's no packing....ha ha ha.
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

Well, since tunnel-girl has replied, I think it's only fitting that tunnel-boy also jump in. ;)
Basically, everything she said. I had a bad chipping problem during my student progression. My next jump was going to be the one where you go out without your instructor hanging on. I happened to be in Vegas and decided to do some coached sessions at Flyaway. 10 sessions (i.e. 30 mins of airtime) later I went back and jumped. My instructor was absolutely amazed at the difference. I totally sailed through the rest of the training.
So, in a nutshell, if you have a chance to do time in the wind tunnel do it! No matter how much experience you have it will make you a much better flier. I have yet to talk to a skydiver who did the tunnel and didn't come away thinking it dramatically helped their skills.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie