cyberskydive

dz.com poll ??

I ticked the second because if you have a bag lock and you are that low, you definately want to be opening your reserve, but you also don't want the shock of the reserve to unlock the bag(potentially) and give you two canopies.
So, in my opinion both answers don't say it all, because rather than one at a time, I would be pulling both simultaneously.:S
my .02$
Kia Kaha,
Pyke:P
NZPF A-2584

ummm did you read the altitude wrong man? Let me get you some BIG rubber bands and no dont double stow them.
I chose to cut away, pull reserve, of course.
2k plenty altitude to initiate emergency procedures properly. USPA recommends at 1800ft make final decisions right? So going through 2k with a bag lock I would say cut away.
1k? maybe a different story, but I think the chances of a clean reserve deployment with everything but the canopy out are marginal.
C-28534
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

USPA recommends at 1800ft make final decisions right? So going through 2k with a bag lock I would say cut away.

The USPA also says: go straight for the reserve, don't cut away (SIM 4.18 B) while 88% of the people in the poll so far seem to disagree. BTW - that's why the poll is on there, no trick question. :)Safe swoops
Sangiro

My training was if you've pulled one handle, you have to pull the other two. Anybody else hear that in the FJC? Do you think it's useful (makes sense to me...) or were they just trying not to cram our little how-fo brains with too much info and too many scenarios?
Blues, squares,
PTiger
*insert witty sig here*

The USPA also says: go straight for the reserve, don't cut away (SIM 4.18 B)

I beleive that is the response to a P.C. in tow, NOT for a bag lock. A P.C. in tow is considered a total malfunction, while a baglock is considered a partial malfunction.
And 2000 feet is not that low.
how to have a good weekend: pack fast, pull low, date your riggers wife.

The USPA also says: go straight for the reserve, don't cut away (SIM 4.18 B)

I beleive that is the response to a P.C. in tow, NOT for a bag lock. A P.C. in tow is considered a total malfunction, while a baglock is considered a partial malfunction.
And 2000 feet is not that low.

I agree, cutaway. That is what the sim says at 4.18. With a partial mal. At 2k, you have time, and don't want that ball of junk over your head when the reserve comes out.
The other advice from anonymous about dating the riggers wife, though... I would think twice about dating a guys wife that is packing my reserve. But I guess I just don't live that dangerous.

Sangiro said--
I believe you are right! My wording in that poll sucks! the intentions were right...then I got the wrong malfunction up there.
Safe swoops
Sangiro
DB--Why do you say that your wording sucks?
The majority vote was correct for the "question asked," be it the intended question or not.
You asked in your post--You have a bag-lock malfunction falling through 2000 ft, you....
DB--By definition, a bag lock malfunction implies that the bag is off your back with one of the stows not released for whatever reason. This is considered a partial malfunction, and should be cut-away to avoid possible reserve entanglement.
As far as PC's in tow, I would hope that the recommend response to them in well known.
Now let's have a poll for horseshoe malfunctions, which are much more dangerous!
Dave Brownell

My training was if you've pulled one handle, you have to pull the other two. Anybody else hear that in the FJC? Do you think it's useful (makes sense to me...) or were they just trying not to cram our little how-fo brains with too much info and too many scenarios?

That's how I heard it also Palmetto. It saves time trying to think "hmm, what kind of mal is this and what's the right thing to do with this one?"...just cut and pull out the reserve automatically. Gives you less to think about and less chance of choosing wrong!
Pammi

just cut and pull out the reserve automatically

Ouch. The problem with this is that if you have a container lock, there is a chance it can open when the reserve container does (releasing the pressure), and you can have the now cut away main foul your inflating reserve. Granted, the not cut away one might also, and you have to deal with two canopies out, but the theory is your chances are better giving your main a normal deployment sequence.
Or has drug use in my youth caused me to make a misjudgement here? :S
Carl

A student is taught in the FJC to pull all handles. Pammi is correct in that this helps to decrease the chances of second guessing the correct emergency procedures. In this case, at 2 grand, of course you cut away and pull the oh-shit handle. BUT, students are also taught this because students should pull at 3500' or higher. It is hoped, as has historically been the case, that by the time the student is in a situation that he/she might be low and in trouble, the student will have been involved in discussions such as this, and will be able to make an informed decision as to what he/she will do in any situation. This used to be accomplished during after hours or rainy day beer drinking sessions, but now, thanks to Sangrio, those who don't hang out and hear the wisdom (and great stories) of the old timers, can get good information online. These polls are an awesome way to make us all think about how we would handle a bad situation.

We had this happen at our dz. The guy had a bag lock and didn't cut it away before going for the reserve. The opening shock of the reserve was enough to unlock the malfunction and he found himself under two side by side canopies. He was able to get himself to an open field and despite the down wind landing, walked away shaken but un-injured. After seeing that if I ever get a bag lock I'll be chopping it.
:-)
Susan (looks like I'm still anonymous)