AndoSole

Geodome and canopy

Hello everyone, this is my first post here on the forums and wasn't sure if this would be the proper place for this post but if not please move it if possible.

I'm a Cub Scout Leader in Kentucky and I'm in the process of doing an activity with the kids using a parachute. I purchased a round military type canopy but I can't find any information on it as far as size and dimensions.

I'm planing on making a geodome that the kids are going to put together and using the canopy as a cover to have classes and/or sleep under it if they like.

I found the NSN and PN:
1670-21-864-6954
C70f 51401-5

I've looked everywhere the internet has take me but still no dimensions.

I need them to build the geodome to the proper specs. Need the diameter and the height of it when it's fully open. Thanks.

I'm striking out using those numbers. Check and see if there is another data panel on the opposite side of the parachute where you found those. Also tell us what color it is. If it's tan, green, orange and white we probably know what that is.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The canopy is OD Green.

I'll have to get it out again and see if there's another set of numbers. Only thing I found on the NSN was its a cargo chute. I'll look for another set of numbers once everything dries up.

I might have to take a wild stab at this, make a large dome and cut it down to fit the canopy.

If you want to know it's dimensions, just put a tape measure on it from the apex(top) to the lower lateral band (bottom). Because it is a round canopy, the circumference, the length, the area: actually, everything you would want to know by simply using geometry.

If it is a 'flat circular' then it will be just fine for a tent/"geodome". If it is parabolic, it won't work at all, as the bottom 1/4 will be baggy.

You just get a center pole, and about a dozen ordinary steel posts and lightly drive them in the ground, evenly spaced along the circumference. Hook the "skirt" to the top of each post and you can walk under the edge and have a nice tent. If you want a "geodome, then I guess you'd just stake the skirt down all around. But then - how do get into it? You'll figure it out and have fun doing it!

Yep, that's what I plan on doing dpreguy and the canopy does have a net around the edge but all the lines have been cut unfortunately. [:/]

When the weather gets better I'll pull it out, spread it and take pictures. We're currently in a deep freeze for the next few days so hopefully by the end of the week I can do it...thanks for the help everyone.

If it has a net around it (an anti inversion net) it is likely to be parabolic - not flat circular. Not good for a dome or a tent, as the bottom 1/4 will be floppy baggy. If it is, better find a flat circular one, and not deal with a dome that sags inside.

It's easy to tell: lay it on the floor. If it lays flat, it is flat circular. If it won't lay flat, probably ought to get a different canopy.

AndoSole

Thanks for the advice. So what type of chute should I look for that would fit the dome better?

.................................................................................

It is really easy to modify a flat-circular parachute into a conical parachute/tent, just sew a couple of radial seams together.
Conical tents are easy to erect with one long pole up the center and a series of (same size) shorter poles around the circumference.
How many gores (triangular bits extending from the circumference to the apex) are "hidden" determines the angle of your cone.
If you only "hide" a few gores, your tent will be shallow and wide, like a circus tent.
If you "hide" a lot of gores, your tent will be tall and narrow.
Mathematically calculating the "finished" size might be an amusing way to keep the kids entertained until the weather warms up enough to erect the tent.

riggerrob

***Thanks for the advice. So what type of chute should I look for that would fit the dome better?

.................................................................................

It is really easy to modify a flat-circular parachute into a conical parachute/tent, just sew a couple of radial seams together.
Conical tents are easy to erect with one long pole up the center and a series of (same size) shorter poles around the circumference.
How many gores (triangular bits extending from the circumference to the apex) are "hidden" determines the angle of your cone.
If you only "hide" a few gores, your tent will be shallow and wide, like a circus tent.
If you "hide" a lot of gores, your tent will be tall and narrow.
Mathematically calculating the "finished" size might be an amusing way to keep the kids entertained until the weather warms up enough to erect the tent.

And flat circular are 28' C-9, often white tan green and orange but also all white, 24' T-10 white or green.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE