RIZ

High places bother me

I bet I could really jump well when high places bother me. (Sarcastic) The weird thing is part of me wants to do stuff like this. I was thinking it might be a bet creppy.
Edited by RIZ on 6/12/01 10:58 PM.

I know lots of jumpers who are afraid of heights. I think the biggest fear when you're standing in the door at 13,5 isn't "I'm so far up here!" but "What am I going to put my feet on out there?"
Go along for a ride in the copilot's seat (assuming your DZ has an aircraft with 2 command seats). It's a good way to get a taste of jumping without paying for a ticket.
Blues, Squares,
PTiger
*insert sub-100 character sig here*

I agree with Palmetto, Riz. I am afraid to get on a roof to put up x-mas lights, but I love jumping! I was told once that your perception only goes to about 1500', which would explain why ground-rush starts about there. Do you like flying? It is still very scary at first, just because it's 'unnatural' to get out of a plane, but that's part of the fun and it gets easier as you get used to it.
Good luck!
Pammi
"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."
http://trak.to/skydivechick

One weird thing is, I went to the grand cannon and went right to the edge and looked over and it did not bother me a bit, but over over a roof does, kind of weird. I have had dreams about falling and it kind of gived me the crepps, but maybe someday I will try it, and maybe it will be fun.

Agreed. Standing in the door doesn't feel the same as standing on the roof, because the ground is so far away, it doesn't look real. You can easily convince yourself that it isn't real. In fact, I remember being under canopy on my first jump, and thinking that it felt like I was just looking at a very well-done train set.
Of course, there is the landing....
Carl

Yes hights bother me. It is really bad because I am a rock climber and skydiver. I am terrified of the edge of the rock from the top. I am infinitely more comfortable on the face just below the crest than on top.

Even worse, every time I climb out to float on exit, this little fear of falling off races throug my mind. I never hesitate to jump but I het nervous that I will fall. Weird the way that your mind fucks with you.
Ready, Set, GOOOOOOO
Albatross

That is it with me also, When I was not the grand cannon it seemed fake, not real so it did not bother me, but being on a latter going to the roof bothers me. Low and high. I think it would be fun to kind of fly [Stright down very fast]

Odd as it may seem, 20 years into it and I still sometimes get wierded out at sometimes. At Perris during the meet we were hopping and popping from over 6k. Well, sometimes anyway; normally one of my teammates and I launched a flower every round. The point is, prior to exit I bet I checked my gear 50 times making sure I wasn't going to fall out of it. Then, under canopy, I was quite nervous, almost to the point of passing out. Let me tell you, you really don't need to pass out under a 75 foot elliptical! Stage fright may have been the reason as it only bugged me the first couple of rounds in the competition, but still, I was wiggin'! The only other time I ever got that way was after several days of very heavy partying. I don't recommend that at all; I was barely able to stay conscious until I landed. Ugh!
Chuck

I know what you mean about the ladder compared to the door. I flew for 4 years comercially and the only part I hated was the landings because you could see the ground coming up at you really fast and had no control. At least in skydiving you have some control.
Now that I've started jumping I really used to be scared that I would fall off or out of the plane but a JM looked at me and laughed and said, "SO, you are supposed to get off anyway." Granted falling off could screw up a formation dive but big deal. If you make a habit of checking your $hit and not trash packing then all you have to do is enjoy the ride, PULL and FLARE.
Now...if you fall off the roof all you need to do is scream as there is no ride, no time to pull and nothing to flare....man you are SOL.
Blue Skies and Happy Landings,
Lisa

I have had dreams about falling and it kind of gived me the crepps, but maybe someday I will try it, and maybe it will be fun.

Hehe. I haven't had one of those dreams since I started skydiving. If I had one now, I imagine I'd be doing flips or trying to go head down. ;)

Hay ya don't have fear of high places,, its the low places that'll get ya,, Yea the Grand Canyon is just too big and looks more like a picture,, and from the plane door it's kinda the same thing,,, ya don't feel like your falling outta a plane at 12.5K,, already goin 80-100kts,, more like ya just stepped inta a wind tunnel,, " hell half the things in life a like give me a little scare",,, quote from a rodeo clown goin in ta face a 2000 lb Bull for 70 secs,, now thats crazy!! Shut up and JUMP!!
Soft Landings,, Blue ones,, Sweet Dreams,,
B