Spooky52

Looking for Master Rigger in SoCal

I am looking for a Master Rigger in Southern California to supervise/assist/do some modifications to my Altitude Shop Top Secret harness to bring it up to todays standards. I want to install the three ring system to replace the Capewells (though the Capewells are perfectly good for me) and add the throw out pilot chute and a RSL. I'm a Senior Rigger and mainly need someone to supervise my work. If you are a Master who is willing to take on this task, or know one you would recommend please contact me. Thanks.

Jim Chandler D-4501
[email protected]
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!

One might ask why?:) For a $200-400 you can get an older Vector II or other rig ready to go.

I know back in the day master riggers would do alterations like these but now there is little call and more liability than ever. Your going to have to find an old fart that knows how and doesn't care about regulations and liability. Field approval of the alterations was always needed, used to be widely ignored, but now essentially unavailable.

Have fun.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Hi Terry:

The why is that I still have my Top Secret and Stratostar and I like them. They have served me well and I'd like to continue using them. I have been studying the harness, however, and you may be correct. I'm not sure that it could even be done. RATS. Yeah, rigging is pretty much a thing of the past, especially Master Riggers, except for the manufacturers. Oh well. I don't know how many jumps I'll be making henceforth. Going to Elsinore is a pretty long drive for me and the cost of the AFF jumps that I have to make to get back to solo is prohibitive. I would probably have to make at least two at around $250 each. That's a lot of money for a retired old fart. :-) Thanks for the comment.

Jim

I'm never trying to keep any jumper, especially an old fart, from jumping. Recently there was a Midwest reunion that got jumpers from the 70's back together. Several that hadn't made a jump in 30 years made a couple of jumps to get current and had lots of fun. One I helped out some hadn't jumped in 34 years.

Your a D licensed skydiver and a rigger. All you have to do is whatever you and the DZO decide you should. Certainly AFF isn't required unless you think so. Minimum would be some ground review, especially with different gear, and a couple of coach jumps. Find a DZ doing SL or IAD and they can help you out. Of course do what you feel you should.

But put the rest of the money into a little better gear.:) With your D license number you can't be too young. Lose the capewell top secret, the unit reserve (makes me shudder) and stratostar for something that will treat your knees a little better. I know of rigs with older F-111 mains, Raven reserves, and "modern" harness for LT $1000. Even older zp canopies in older rigs with better reserve than your unit for less. Certainly better to put $200 - $300 into getting a different rig than working on yours. $300 reserve, and even jump your stratostar if you want.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I made one Level 6 jump at Elsinore and, personally, I didn't really think I needed that. I haven't forgotten how to fly and I showed that with a perfect jump. I did fumble the handle once and the instructor pulled it before I had a chance to redeem myself. I would have had it on the second try and it wasn't like we were getting low or anything (still over 5k). I just may take you up on that. Where is your DZ?

I would like to thank you for steering me to Skydiver Resurrection. I got to meet Mary yesterday and picked up some very nice, more or less modern, gear and donated an apparently new, or VERY little used, Unit 200 to the cause. Now with very little work (and a bunch of bucks for an AAD), I'll be back in the sky with my own gear.