Macaulay

Final Fantasy

I saw 'Final Fantasy' yesterday. It seriously left me speechless. I am VERY particular when it comes to films, and this one was just astonishing in every aspect. I will say nothing about it other than see it... right now.
Something skydivers will find interesting about it is the method they used to fall from high places. These guys jump from a flying vehicle and a green gel is projected towards the ground just before they come into contact with it. The gel "breaks the fall" and then disintegrates. The whole movie is just pure genius.
- Macaulay

These guys jump from a flying vehicle and a green gel is projected towards the ground just before they come into contact with it. The gel "breaks the fall" and then disintegrates.

So, let me get this straight. If you prematurely, um, project, then you die. Harsh! :o
GeekStreak

I also saw this movie yesterday when it came out. I agree with you Mac. Left me speechless. Animation was incredible, everything looked real, movement of the people, facial expressions, texture and movement of the clothing. Totally awesome.
As for the plot, I loved it. How can you say the plot was absent Doasfu? If you paid attention to it, you would have seen there was a natural progression to it. They explained the appearance of the aliens very well, though you had to wait till almost the end for the explanation. I thought it was a well thought out plot. Very good movie!!! Two big Skydiving thumbs up!!!!!!
Blue Skies!
Sinister69
http://home.pacbell.net/n1elson1

As for the plot, I loved it. How can you say the plot was absent Doasfu? If you paid attention to it, you would have seen there was a natural progression to it.

Ok, absent may have been too strong a word. Yes, I managed to follow it, I just thought it was a little on the thin side.
Dan
"Oh, you went to a movie this weekend? That's nice. Me? Oh... Actually, me too..."

I felt that the plot was actually very intense and intelligent. However, it was far more analytical than emotional. I also like how little was explained relative to the whole. That is, many aspects of the film, however abstract, were actually very logical, but were left up to the viewer to figure out. Although... most viewers wouldn't understand it all.
I'm not really trying to compare it to other animation, but this was the same deal with 'Akira' and 'Ghost in the Shell'. Very advanced, intelligent films that put less emphasis on emotion. It's something that is seen in a few Japanese animated films that doesn't come up elsewhere too much (Final Fantasy was a Japanese/American production, but more Japanese).
- Macaulay

Silly Macauly, thinking I'm not a one-time anime buff or something. You weren't around for the interminable skydiving-geek discussions. :)
Anyhow... I honestly didn't feel that there was a lot of depth to the plot. Granted, it was probably well above and beyond what most people are used to, and I saw a lot of people walking out shaking their heads in confusion, but I chock that up to the fact that the film wasn't constant exposition, as is the norm, and, well, whuffos are dumb.

"Oh, you went to a movie this weekend? That's nice. Me? Oh... Actually, me too..."

I enjoyed the FF games more than any others because Squaresoft seemed to put more emphasis on plot and character development than gameplay and graphics (not that the latter two ever suffered). I'm a little wary of the movie because most of the reviews I've read say that the graphics outshine the story (pun intended). Kind of ironic - a game that emphasizes story becomes a movie that emphasizes graphics.
Regardless, I'll go see it this weekend - two or three times if it's good. (Can't jump because the elbow surgery recovery is going slower than they originally thought... GRRRRRRRRRRR.)
Blues, squares,
PTiger
"Beer: the OTHER other white meat."

I was the same way. I've played through every FF game since number one on NES back in 1990. Using PC emulators, I played through pirated/translated versions of the Japanese games that were never released in the US. I played through every spinoff (Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Secret of Evermore, FF Tactics, Chocobo's Dungeon, etc.). I even played through all the Gameboy games. Needless to say, I feared disappointment. Coming from someone who is a total FF fanatic, you can trust me when I say that the movie will not let you down in the least. Like the FF games themselves, the film has little to do with its predecessors, but that shouldn't bother you at all. I met a couple FF purists when I went to see it, and we were all blown away by it. It followed the same story structure as the games, but was in a completely different environment. You'll love it.
- Macaulay