rainier

Expectations

I'm doing AFF level 1 this weekend or next weekend. How much briefing on emergency procedures should I expect? I jumped aff 1 about 6 years ago right off the bat. I guess the rules changed between now and then because this time around I had to do 2 tandem jumps for canopy control lessons.
Has anyone done AFF at Skydive Sussex in NJ? I've had a great experience there so far (3 jumps) but I'm concerned that with the amt of tandem jumpers there all the time, I won't get as much info on emergency stuff as I should. They are really busy getting those funjumpers up and out.
I won't jump if I feel like I'm not getting enough info re what to do if things go wrong. I've read the SIM, The Skydiver's Handbook and the Safety articles here on Dropzone and thats helped my confidence alot. Only thing is, I feel like some of the JM's there are less talkative than they should be. Please give me your thoughts on this and what you think I should hear, minimum.
Thanks

I think you'll be in a 4-8 hour course going over all the emergency procedures. Then before the jump 1 or both of the JM's should go over emergency procedures with you again. If this is not the case I would be leary of jumping there. I believe that this is required to be a USPA dropzone.....I'm not positive cause I'm a FNG, but I'm pretty sure. I would call the DZ and ask them about it and voice your concerns
JG

All thats required to be a member DZ is you sign a form that states you will follow the BSR's and you pay your fee. Not much else. Oh yeah... you also have to be willing to submit to "Volunteer" inspections. Most times this involves someone running around to make sure your dues are current and your reserve is in date. Part of the agreement also states that the member will ensure that only current USPA members are allowed to jump at their DZ.
Whoa... That was cool!

I wouldn't jump unless they do the following. Explain emergency procedures to you. Quiz you on them until you know them all. Have you stand in a mock harness with cutaway and reserve handles and have you practice a cutaway and reserve pull. Then hold pictures of every type of mal over your head and have you perform appropriate procedures for each one and get them all right several times.
Every couple of weeks I grab one of the instructors and have them do that for me. Even if you jump 50 times a week, you're not practicing emergency procedures any of those times (hopefully) so it needs to be refreshed often. That's my personal newbie paranoid opinion anyway.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin