holeydel

What should I look for when searching for my first rig?

Alright, so I didn't want to come on here and be a right numpty by asking all you guys to do the work for me, so I've been doing some research to at least make some effort to answering my questions.

So thanks in advance for any hints thrown my way - a little about me first....

5'8, 70kg, 30 jumps, got AFF, looking to jump 3-5 x per month - something to give you an idea of my progression to the next canopy, based in UK, would boastfully cheat on girlfriend if Keira Knightley made a pass.

Info I've gathered so far is I should buy a used rig, probably a 230 sq ft canopy (right?), I should get this from a dz or dealer to ensure safety and not being taken for a ride, and also I should speaks to the guys and gals at my local dz too - which I'll do on Wednesday if Hurricane Gonzalo pisses off.

I've seen this ad from a UK sight, if you could help me break it down a little I'd be grateful, so I can get an understanding of how this stuff works...

Talon /Fury/Raven 3, 500 jumps, Navy & Burgundy with yellow flashes, Large harness, Large harness, BOC, DOM 07/91. Main: Fury, 400 jumps, Black/Yellow, 220 sq ft, 7 cells, DOM 3/89. Reserve: Raven 3(e)

The first DOM, 07/91, this is the date of the container? As for the other dates, would these be considered old for a canopy? They certainly sound old to be considering the job I'm relying on them to do. The price of this is £700, though as I've only found two other similar rigs on the same website, I don't know yet if this is asking to much, normal or a deal, a steal, the sale of the.... any Lock Stock fans?? The large harness tells me the rig is to big for me anyroad, but the three before mentioned adverts is all I've found going on the net at the mo - everything else is for the pro's.

So then, 230s ft, a DOM for the canopy / reserve no earlier than..., no greater number of jumps than...., and a rough guide of costs (UK prices please) is info I'd really appreciate. It's a lot I know, but then I don't want to have to keep coming back and bugging you with, 'But what about blah blah blah...', unless of course you think I missed something.

I've ben having a butchers at the forums here and some have helped loads, some topics were dated many years ago and others were more specific, like 'getting started - with base jumping.' I'll keep looking in the meantime.

So thanks again - I know newbie's can be annoying little buggers so hopefully I've given enough of a heads up to show I'm not completely lazy...

Del

I don't know what you have been jumping, but you're going to hate the flare on a 25 year old f-111 main. Have you tried the classifieds on dz.com. There's a ton of stuff in your sizes. Talk with people at your dz and see what they fly and instructors for what they recommend. Personally, I wouldn't waste your time with that setup. It's old and it's bound to be needing somethin. Look for something less than 20 years old.

Take this for what you paid for it but it's my opinion. I've seen 25 year old rigs, that were still airworthy, but you have to remember that most reserve manufacturers put a time limit or require porosity and strength testing after a certain time. Some put a pack job limit and or jump limit. So keep that in mind.

Read the scams forum and see what to watch out for. If you do see something, get their information, and any references they may offer. Ask for something weird with pictures.... Like ask for a close up of the bridle attachment. Then you'll know they actually have the canopy and not just a few pictures. You need to find out jump #'s, for the main and reserve and container.

You are literally putting your life in your gear's ummmmmm hands, straps,....? So stop being a cheapskate and save up and get something that's up to date. I personally spent $2400(about 1500 gbp) on my first rig. No aad and no rsl. Added later. It was a 6 years old, with a sabre1 170 but looked new
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Talon /Fury/Raven 3, 500 jumps, Navy & Burgundy with yellow flashes, Large harness, Large harness, BOC, DOM 07/91. Main: Fury, 400 jumps, Black/Yellow, 220 sq ft, 7 cells, DOM 3/89. Reserve: Raven 3(e)

Advice from a guy who used to work at the Talon factory....
Date of Manufacture 07/91 means that it is a Talon 1 with six flaps inside the reserve container. Judging by the date of manufacture, it probably needs pockets sewn in to hold an Automatic Activation Device (Cypres, Vigil, Marrs, etc.) Your local Master Rigger can easily sew in the updated pockets.
It also might need some sort of a bridle cover update - if you plan to sit-fly - again an easy job for a Master Rigger.

Calendar age does not mean a lot, since the last major revolution in skydiving gear design was around 1990. Though be warned that some riggers refuse to pack gear older than themselves.
Hah!
Hah!
The real question is how well previous owners took care of the gear. Was it jumped in the rain? Was it jumped into salt water? Was it jumped in the desert? Was it left laying out in the sun too long?
Those questions can only be answered by a local rigger. Insist on a local rigger inspecting the gear before nay money changes hands. A local rigger can also advise you if the harness needs to be re-sized.

Raven 3e is 249 square feet (depending upon which measurement method you use) ... still a reliable reserve as long as you load it less than 1 pound per square foot ... not a risk at your present weight.

I used to jump the occasional "Fury" back when I was your age and size. Thought they were great canopies for RW, CRW, casual accuracy, demos, BASE, etc. Since then much better canopies have been developed to fill each of those niches.
400 jumps sounds like "half-life" on a Fury. I would not pay much for it and would prefer to spend the effort researching more recently designed canopies.

In conclusion: parade the gear past your local rigger and pay for his/her opinion.

Possibly. Actually, probably, there are Service Bulletins which will apply to your 1991 h/c. I am not at my loft to look, or check the dates of them, but from memory:
. An inspection, maybe a corrective sewing of the reserve container's lower corners.
. Service bulletin on the reserve pilot chute recommending replacement if it is a Skyhook pilot chute. (weak spring)
. If no RSL must get a retrofit kit that is VERY difficult to install nicely. Master rigger work. (I'd recommend it be done by factory actually).
. Reserve D bag has been updated too. If I recall correctly, it is recommended you buy a newer model.

These are 4 SB's I remember that may apply to your h/c. If they all apply, you'll be spending a lot to have these SB's complied with. A whole lot. These are just the ones from memory. Better get a complete list of SB's that apply. Most are just "Recommended", but when the mfg. recommends, well...it's your choice.

I'd inquire about all of these before you buy an expensive repair project. If all apply you could buy a used modern SB compliant h/c for less. Pretty sure you can get a list of SB's online. If they all apply I'd run from this one.

. Service bulletin on the reserve pilot chute recommending replacement if it is a Skyhook pilot chute. (weak spring)

Only airworthy if the pilot-chute spring is painted black.