talkingfrog

Yet another newbie looking at used gear

Boring, I know.

51 jumps in. Enjoying the sport immensely. Time to purchase a rig since I can easily see jumping another 200 times.

My DZ has a very lightly used Mirage G4 container with a 210 Saber 2. I jumped it and the landing was fine in light wind. But the freaking harness feels like it was made for a much smaller person (I am 6'2" and 200lbs). Felt like I was trying to put on my daughter's rig :)

Anyway, since it seems rather difficult to find containers/canopies rigs sized for me (210-230) and the main and I got along very well I am looking into seeing if the harness can be modified even slightly so I don't feel like 5lbs stuffed into a 1lb bag. If I were a 170lb 5'10" person I could have a number of options but this is only the second complete used rig appropriate for me that I have seen all summer.

I know that Mirage will refit the harness and this may well mean replacing quite a bit of gear. But given the price of a new Mirage container anything under ~$600 sounds pretty good. The container will go down to a 190 so this system should be good for another 200+ jumps for me.

Thoughts? Am I completely full of shit here? It would not be the first time...
There ain't no devil, only God when he is drunk--Tom Waits

I had the harness completely replaced on a vector so it would fit me. The vector was my mothers and when she died I got it and wanted to be able to jump it for sentimental reasons. It was a significant size change since she was 5 foot tiny. I had the harness replaced for (IIRC) under $200 by tom dolphin at MRVS in Missouri. My dad had his harness replaced by him also. Both were done beautifully. I'm sure there are other master riggers that can do it as well if you choose not to have the factory do it.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Not unreasonable at all.

Maybe.

How is it too small? As is what parts of the harness seem too small. If it's too small across the shoulders, then the yoke is the problem. As was noted above, that can't be changed.

Otherwise, a harness resize may be an option.

Go to the Mirage site and find the page that tells you how to take measurements.

HAVE SOMEONE TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS. You can't do it yourself. A rigger is good. A decent tailor is also good. However, anyone who can read a tape measure and follow directions will work.
Take them twice to be sure.

Send both your measurements and the serial number of the prospective rig to Mirage and see what they say.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Also make certain you're looking at all the options for used gear.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SkydivingGear/

Call the various gear stores and ask if they have any used gear. Most do.

You don't need to buy the entire rig at once. You can get the components separately. Just be certain the harness fits your body and the container will fit the canopies you want to put in it.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Good advice. The rigger at my DZ wil measure me and ensure that the yoke fits. I do not recall if the harness was overall too small or too small in the torso--but the leg straps were particularly annoying. I suppose someone might swoop in and pick up the rig while I make up my mind but that is just the way it goes.
There ain't no devil, only God when he is drunk--Tom Waits