fred

First freefall!

I was just going to post this in my 'newbie questions' thread, but since I'm not asking any questions, I thought I'd just start a new one to tell my story.
I made my last two static line jumps, and my first freefall today.
Freefall was amazing. Even though it was brief (Maybe 2 seconds longer than when I was on SL), the feeling of the wind around me when my belly faced the earth was exhilarating. My next is a 10 second fall, but it'll probably have to wait until next saturday.
The friend I started with got credit for all his jumps. Since the JM's all remembered jumping with him, and he wasn't trying to pull anything over (he missed his first practice pull), he just filled in the information and the JM's signed it. He need to catch up though, so he's doing his last static line and first freefall on thursday night (it's going to be really hard for me to not schedule a jump).
It's very exciting. I'm starting to get the hang of bringing myself in. I'm pretty sure if I'd been without radio on my last jump today that I would have hit the peas, instead of falling short by 30 ft. On the jump before, however, I would have overshot it by a lot further.
I landed all three today on my feet, and one was dead center of the peas. They have a blue disk in the middle of it, and when I landed, if I had done a PLF instead of running it out, I would have rolled right over it. I'm happier standing it up.
It's amazing how much I've learned in so few jumps. On my first practice pull, they barely passed me, and describe my arch as "pretty weak, but you would've been stable." On my freefall today, the JM said, "That was perfect. Beautiful arch, and a relaxed, confident pull." I'm very proud.
It helped that Scott was my JM. He's a big guy, probably 6'1", 250lbs, and he makes me so comfortable. He's funny, has this soothing southern accent, and is very patient with us. He answers every question in simple terms and provides great feedback.
I am, however, covered in bruises. I've always bruised easily, but my right upper arm is really repulsive-looking right now. I asked him about it, and he's going to watch more closely next time to see if he can tell what's going on. I really have no idea when it's happening. I could very well be doing it myself when I'm in the airplane (the scariest part of the whole thing, for me).
I've weaned (sp?) myself off of grabbing the plane for dear life when that door opens, since one of my JM's complained that my arm was making it difficult to spot. There's so little to hold onto, that I was grabbing the doorframe. So I'm trying to work myself into being comfortable not holding anything. It still scares the hell out of me. I'm fine once I get the "Put your feet out" instruction and I can grab hold of the strut, but sitting inside that airplane by a wide open door and just holding onto my own rig is something that's going to take me awhile to get used to.
One of the students today got a reserve ride on his first jump. Apparently he went fetal after releasing from the plane and got tangled. I saw him land, but it didn't occur to me that it was a reserve (at my DZ, all the reserves are solid colors). I wish I would have been out there watching, just for my own curiousity. But that's got to be a hard experience on your first jump.
Well, it's probably hard whenever you go, but I know how little I was able to think the first time I went out, and it would have shaken me. Now, after reading everything here and in my student manual, I feel a lot better prepared to think through it and execute safety maneuvres intelligently.
I also scared myself a number of times. While my first time up, I was doing all sorts of spins and stuff, I've stopped doing that and am enjoying the view more (I've found that I'm very excited about watching the canopies below me come in for landings. They look a lot closer to the ground when you're staring down at them). But in 3 of my 4 spins today, I got a feeling that something wasn't right, and let them go earlier than I would have. It almost felt like in the middle of the spin I started going backward. My theory is that I was decelerating at the top of the spin? And that slowing of rotational velocity is what was giving me the heebie-jeebies? Whatever the case, I'm quite a bit more cautious under canopy now. I've decided that I'd rather not have to go to reserve after I've already had a good canopy overtop. I've also found that if I take it easy under the canopy, I don't wear out my arms as quickly and I can make more jumps. This is a good thing.
Still, having done three jumps today, I'm exhausted. A few more beers, then it's straight to bed for me.

fred, it sounds like you had quite a day!

the feeling of the wind around me when my belly faced the earth was exhilarating

That's the drug taking effect. Go with it. It's gets better every time!

A few more beers, then it's straight to bed for me.

Good to see you have your priorities straight! :S

Hi Fred
(hey I can finally post again!)
I have just started my FF progression from S/L...I've made it to 30 second delays and it is INCREDIBLE! I was a little discouraged for a while because of my landing so took some time off to spend at the DZ and worked on landing, but in the meantime got to move up with the freefall. Too cool. It's actually becoming much more fun. I was freaked by the plane and now I've caught myself looking straight down, head out the door. Anyway...what I was replying to was the bruising. I come home every weekend covered in bruises. I finally asked about the ones on my upper arms, especially on my right. I was told that because I am using student gear, it is a little "tall" for me and if I don't get it adjusted just right, when the canopy opens it lifts the harness just enough to bruise (I bruise very easily anyway)...so that is what I was told.
Have fun and enjoy.
Julie

"There's so little to hold onto, that I was grabbing the doorframe. So I'm trying to work myself into being comfortable not holding anything"
I know all about his one. By the time I became a student in civilian parachuting I had more than a few military static lines and I was a pilot. I shouldn't have been scared when the door opened. Hell....I had hung outside many aircraft before. So why was I scared now? I finally figured out that I was scared of "accidentally" rolling out of the aircraft due to turbulence. It does feel a little weird sitting next to a Cessna door with nothing to hold on to. I found that putting my left arm straight up and holding on to the ridge at the back edge of the windshield helped. It gave me a little bit of control and wasnt in the way of the JM. Hope this helps....you are not alone.
"I used to know a girl...She had two pirced nipples and a black tattoo"-Everclear
Clay

I used to get bruises on my left upper arm when jumping student gear. One of my JMs finally figured out that when I was reaching for the ripcord, I was dropping my left shoulder, causing the harness to drop down my arm a bit. As soon as I focus on keeping both shoulders back on deployment, the bruises stopped!!!
I also used to hold on when the door opened. I used to grab the pilot's seat in the C-182. Now I just laugh at that. Today I rode to altitude sitting right in the door of the King Air (door open) and loved every minute. I think it take a little getting used to!!!!
Sounds like you are doing great, Fred! Keep it up!! I t only gets better!
Blue skies,
Anne