aa1b

VFR flights may resume soon!

Lets not get our hopes to high but this was just released and it looks good!
From AOPA... The map reveals most sports venues and airspace around military bases remains a no go - but overall it looks as though VFR flying is about to resume :)
FAA to issue notam permitting some VFR operations today
9/19/01 1:30:03 PM, ET — AOPA has learned that FAA will issue a notam today between 4 and 6 p.m. ET that will permit the resumption of some VFR operations. AOPA President Phil Boyer has talked at length with FAA Administrator Jane Garvey and the head of FAA's Air Traffic Services. They had just come from a meeting with Department of Defense and national security officials.

The USPA is hard at work too (and you always thought they didn't do anything...)
---------
Airspace Update (9/19/01)
A new FAA Notam is expected between 4 PM and 6 PM EDT today, after the FAA coordinates the details with their Flight Service Stations. USPA will post the new information as soon as we receive it. We are now informed that some restrictions will be lifted today, with others following as the threat is reassessed on an hour by hour basis at the White House. We will post changes on this site as they occur.
USPA continues to stay fully engaged with the FAA, National Security Council, and Department of Defense in an effort to restore general aviation VFR flight, in general, and skydiving operations in particular. Our message to the national leadership has been that skydiving operations, unlike most other VFR operations, are under close supervision and in continual communication with air traffic control. Furthermore, skydiving aircraft remain in the immediate vicinity of the airport from which they operate, thereby posing little threat to major urban areas from which they are restricted.
Meanwhile, USPA has started gathering economic impact data to present at upcoming Congressional hearings on how the restrictions have harmed the aviation industry. We are also investigating how skydiving businesses may benefit from the bailout bill being considered by Congress for aviation businesses.
Then, I saw these two guys swoopin across the pond, and I was like 'weeeeeee!!!!'

This was taken from an aviation news group, as the poster stated take it with a grain of salt....

Just got off the phone with AOPA. Of course, all this is unofficial thus far,
take it with a grain of salt, but here's what I was told:
Sometime between 1 pm and 4 pm (Eastern time) today, a NOTAM will go out lifting
the ban on VFR COMPLETELY, with only a few restrictions:
1. No flight instruction
2. No VFR into Class B
3. There will be some modification to the definition of Class B: it will no
longer be an "inverted wedding cake", instead it will be a straight cylinder,
with the upper ring going all the way down to the surface. The details of this
were sketchy, sodon't quote me on the details
He implied the restrictions would be temporary
I was told it would be effective immediately upon issuing the NOTAM.
As I said, this is unoffical, so don't fire up the engines and taxi out just
yet, but this is the most positive thing I've heard for a while. I sure hope it
turns out to be true. I'm crossing my fingers and toes. Stay tuned for more
details.
-D

Class B airspace = airspace over maior airports such as LAX, SFO Washington DC Chicago etc. This is the most restrictive and controlled airspace accessible to civilian aviation.
The airspace is set up like an upside down wedding cake in that the higher up you go the larger air space it covers.

3. There will be some modification to the definition of Class B: it will no
longer be an "inverted wedding cake", instead it will be a straight cylinder,
with the upper ring going all the way down to the surface. The details of this
were sketchy, sodon't quote me on the details

If this is true it will be interesting to see how they handle things in places like here in the Bay Area and other major metro areas where class B airspace sits over top of many other airports with their own Class C or D airspace.
e

OK so my copmuter was behaving badly and I couldn't quite get the explanation out as well as I wanted to on that last post. Currently - or at least before last week class B and class C airspace looked something like this with the bottom line representing the ground:
----------------
| |
---------------
| |
----------
| |
-----
The new restrictions would make it look like:
------------
| |
| |
| |