E150

My First Malfunction

E150:
will you continue employing the use of your RSL? you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but i have this discussion periodically with other divers every weekend, and i'm starting to see RSL's dissapear like crazy. for me, i think it adds a "comfort factor" until i have my first emergency procedure under my belt. plus i know if i'm in a slow mal, twisting or whatever, even though it would add an extra process, if for any reason i thought i would not be stable at main release, i would release the red tab on my rsl prior to releasing the main, for seperation, and stabilization. what are your thoughts? take care.
Regards:
Richard
"What's All That Smoke Coming From The Cockpit Area?"

Hey Richard,
The kit I was using was club kit (inc RSL).
I have ordered a rig that does not have an RSL. From this afternoon (yippeeee) will be borrowing a rig (150) that has NO RSL.
Just my preferance, having listened to people I respect.
You can only do what your happiest with. I have my chest strap so tight - but love it like that. Makes me feel secure. . . . :) I also check my chest strap about 5 times on the plane (paranoia or what?)
Jo

Jo
better paranoid than dead! i do the same thing with my chest strap, habit i guess, but a damned good one. i jumped out in a 2 way headdown once, and forgot to put my goggles on, OUCH, severe eyeburn from the wind, my partner let go, and i could see him laughing i freefall, while i was putting my goggles on, they were hanging around my kneck. check, check, and check some more!
Richard

Hey Jo,
Nice work on the mal.

I have ordered a rig that does not have an RSL.

I agree. My jav had an RSL and I got it taken off too. Don't like the idea of it, although I know some people think they should be compulsory or something.

I also check my chest strap about 5 times on the plane (paranoia or what?)

Heheh...cool. Haven't you ever seen me do the legstrap-handles-toggle dance three hundred times on the way to altitood? Ever since I packed my toggle into the spandex without pulling it out again (duhhh...got spotted on a Flightline check, luckily) I have been mega paranoid...
I even went and dangled in the harnesses in the classroom and did cutaway drills recently. You can never be too paranoid, I reckon. (And it was kinda kinky hanging there in the harnesses with Di shouting 'YOU HAVE A TOTAL MALFUNCTION!!!!' Everyone should try it).

this is what makes skydivers so great. Everyone knows that life could end on any jump. We trust in each other and live life like it's the last day. There isn't another group of people I would rather be around.
- Riding in a boat isn't swimming. To fly, you have to get out of the plane.

NOTE: I've you have a mal - don't throw away the
cut-away pad and reserve handle - they cost £25 each.
Hee heeeee

Good Job E150!
I have never had one, but only hope to react as well as you did.
BTW: The last thing I’m going to worry about is the cost of the cut-away pad and reserve handle. I’m sure I wont even think about them till I’m on the ground.
-Larry

The last thing I’m going to worry about is the cost of the cut-away pad and reserve handle.

Its so true, I didnt know I was suposed to hold onto them. But like Larry said you dont care and you wont think about it. (most likely) Mine was spinning so bad I was lucky not to have a RSL problem =had I been on my back I likely wouldnt have faired so well. A JM landed with me, he tought I was spiraling down in the wrong place till he saw the cutaway.
As far as RSL goes, its a personal thing --unless you have a camera. Therefore, I dont connect mine.
Bad Bad JuJu RSL with a camera.
Bill Lee made me promise to come to grips with my RSL wishes long ago. And I havent worn one since my cutaway and Bill packing my reserve. We talked at length about all the variables, like where do you pull? do you hesitate, and etc. Lotsa stuff to think about, then make your call.
AirAnn of http://www.AirAnn.com
Multimedia Page: secret link- upper left hand corner

As a new jumper with 300 jumps and four (yes that sucks) reserve rides I understand what it is like to be nervous and check and recheck things on the plane. But lately I started refocusing my nervous energy. Instead of checking my stuff five times I casually look at other jumpers gear...especially recent AFF graduates who often do not have their own gear and are swapping mains. A while back I saw a jumper with more than one ring passing through the large ring on his 3-ring release. So use your fanatical devotion to safety for the benefit of others.:-)
michael hunt (yes, that is my real name...and i've heard them all)

plus i know if i'm in a slow mal, twisting or whatever, even though it would add an extra process, if for any reason i thought i would not be stable at main release, i would release the red tab on my rsl prior to releasing the main,

Same point I made before: you have made that decision Richard, I hope it works for you when/if the time come to do it; but as a warning to anyone else reading this, the RSL is not designed for that. If its a slow mal, the RSL activation of the reserve should not be a dramatic increase of risk. It becomes a real added risk in a high speed twist, and in these situations, it would be extremely difficult to reach a 1 cm x 1 cm little piece of fabic next to your shoulder and pull on it.
RSL have good point, and bad point, be aware of them when you make a decision on your rig setup, but in skydiving, there is no such thing as a risk free setup (for that, stay on the ground).
Remi
Muff 914