skytribe

Ripcords after RSL Deployment

Had a customer bring be rig to be repacked after another deployment.

The deployment was RSL activated and as the cable is yanked during the deployment it ends up being less than straight. I'm not sure of the best term to describe it as being kinked/bent/deformed/twisted in comparison with an unused cable.

The is no visible signs of fraying on the cable and both ends are secure but I've suggested that the ripcord assembly be replaced as has clearly changed from its original spec.

Any guidance from others as to when a ripcord should be changed ?

If there are no broken strands, you may return that ripcord to service. If it exceeds your esthetic standards, order a new ripcord and install it at during the next I&R.

I am surprised that this question was not answered when you learned how to rig.

As Rob said, if the strands are not damaged then you can hand straighten it and return it to service. This is standard or else on every Strong tandem deployment you would be needing a new ripcord. Same on all sport RSL deployments. The bend/kink is expected and normal.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The strands are not visibly damaged from the outside but this thing is coiled up somewhat - hand straightening it really takes the worst out but its still pretty coiled up.

esthetic make it look like crap.

I'm asking because the was nothing visibly wrong on the outside - ie. both ends are attached, no broken strands but as it doesn't look good and makes threading the ripcord through the housing more difficult I was questioning whether it should be replaced as there was nothing obvious wrong but it is stressed to cause the kink/bend.

All my own reserve rides have been non RSL, so I'd not seen such damage and rigs brought to me after deployment have not exhibited such noticeable deformation hence the question.

So it sounds like if I can't find anything wrong with it then its ok to continue to use - even if it looks like crap.