christoofar

Scarier than Bungee? High-altitude?

Sometimes when my favorite skypals aren't out at the DZ I get stuck in a rut and do nothing but HPs (hop & pops) at 5,500 ft from an otter. This happened two weekens in a row. Yesterday, I got bored and decided to break the trend and do a high pull at 10,000ft. Boy was I nervous although I shouldn't have been!
I'm used to sitting next to the jump door and staring hazily at the ground for a couple minutes, throttle going low, crank open the door, and handstand myself out the door, do a front loop or two... wait 'til 2.7-3 and dump. This time I was in the back, couldn't see anything but the back of someone's Racer... and it seemed like the higher I got the more nervous I was, and that "last minute hand shake" everyone does before they leave the plane made it worse. What's up with that? =o)
I agree about the whole skydiver-scared-about-bungee-jumping thing. I'm scared of heights (yes I'm a wus) and I can't bring myself to want to do it, esp. after seeing the those video clips on TV of bungee accidents, although... now I think about it--I have no problem watching Break-Away! over and over. =o)
In God We Trust. All others pay cash.

Man, I love doing the high-pull jumps and just playing with my canopy. See how much of a diving turn I can do and stuff like that. It was fun doing high-pulls with a buddy of mine, we'd fly around each other, get close, but not CReW. Makes me want to try CReW, but alas, I need to wait till I have my own gear. :)I understand the nervousness thing, though. Happens to me everyonce in a while. Really happened to me on a high-pull, also, when I left the door for a stable exit, I freaked and "swam" for a second. I couldn't tell you why I did that, that was like jump number 80 for me, at the time. Just a total brain fart. Well, of course, I arched and deployed, no biggy. Just shaking my head because of the blatant brain fart.
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-

haha.
did my first H&P from 13'5 when i had 20 some jumps. it was a 2 way. Right before another friend gets out for a 'regular' skydive he turns around and yells at me "hey kel! youre gonna get out, dump, look down and realize youre very high up.. youre gonna shit yourself! BYE!!" then he jumped out. That friggin jerk :) I got out, dumped, looked down and realized how high i was.. started cursing him right away :)
but in all seriousness, think about it. You've got a lot more time to react to a mal (that worry goes down). Just make sure that you keep yourself upwind.
Have fun on them hop and pops from up high! Their awesome jumps. Where else can you 'jump' with a friend for more than just 60 seconds at a time? you get a few good minutes to play with your buddies and you can even talk to eachother.
http://kel197.tripod.com/skydivefriendsTRIPOD/html Updated!!

Yeah... heh... when I made my first jump on my own gear, I wanted plenty of time to play, so I told everyone on the plane I was going to do a solo and "pull high". They thought I meant around 5 or 6 grand, so I just got out last and nobody thought anything of it. I wanted a lot of time up there, so I pulled at 10. It was a windy day. I had about 40 jumps.
If you do this, don't get out over the top. Go a couple of miles upwind.
I held into the wind alllll the way down and landed a bit out. It was fun! :D
Marc

"I freaked and "swam" for a second. I couldn't tell you why I did that, that was like jump number 80 for me"
Don't worry Dave.....I saw some video of one of our AFF instructors exiting with a student. He got no end of shit cause the student looked great......but who's legs were kicking? :)"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay