tsalnukt

vector offset grommets

tsalnukt

Can someone please tell me the purpose of offsetting the grommets on the main packing container?? the whole thing always looks cockeyed to one side. Is there an actual purpose or is it an overcomplicated solution to some problem???

If it looks cockeyed, you're probably closing it wrong. They're offset in a specific way that make the rig look better when packed correctly.

My V3 has the loop mounted on the bottom flap and the closing order is Bottom-Top-Right-Left.

If you try to go BTLR, it looks horrible and the loop is much shorter.

Can you post a pic of how the rig looks bad? With and without the main pin cover flap closed?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I am aware of the proper sequence and I know that it's 'supposed' to make it look better. Beside making it look better why do it? There are a few manufacturers that place the grommets in the center of the flaps and they all seem to come out looking fine. It's not just one but most that i have put together recently. I guess I just dont' see how having the top and bottom grommets off set to one side can promote any sort of symmetry? Not to mention the extra strain on one side of the material.

So I guess the better question would be....Besides trying to make the container look good does it actually serve any purpose??

I remember reading somewhere that Bill B said it helps keep an even tension in the closing loop. I can't seem to find that though.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

promote any sort of symmetry?

Symmetry is vastly overrated! :D

Not to mention the extra strain on one side of the material.

There is no benefit to the symmetry that you think is essential, and no extra strain caused by this perceived asymmetry .

Perhaps the "offset" as you see it is just how much each side flap extends toward the centerline of the rig-past the grommet. The position of the grommet with respect to the centerline is a design point that is independent of how much the flap extends past the position of the grommet.

Maybe I'm not understanding your point, but when I noticed the same thing on my rig, I thought that it was evidence of a carefully thought out design instead of a problem.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am