rickanderson

should I get a different canopy?

I would suggest you get back in and get current before thinking of moving to a more aggressive wing. A sabre 2 at 1.5 isn't exactly a pig. Depending on how long you have been out, you may even want to put a few jumps on something more docile while you knock the dust off.

Depending on what you would be looking for or consider "fun" (turns/swooping/etc.), in the PD line the Stiletto and/or Katana might eventually fit the bill. Other manufactures also have some options between the Sabre2 class and a cross braced wings.

How long of a break? I took a 9 month break, and made a significant upsize when I came back. Was jumping a Storm 150 at 1.6:1, lost weight while I was gone, and came back to a Silhouette 210 at 1:1. Jumped that a couple weekends, then a Spectre 170 at 1.23:1, then back to my Storm now at 1.4:1.

You might think of doing similar, then think of getting rid of your "boring" Sabre2 this winter after you put a hundred-ish jumps on it.
Brian

rickanderson

I have been away from skydiving for a while and have a sabre2 with a wingloading about 1.5 I like it OK but is there any other canopy that might be a little more fun for me? I don't have money burning my pocket or anything but new is always fun

Too many unknown factors to lend advise.

How many total jumps?
How much time in the sport total?
How many jumps on that canopy before taking a break?
How was your performance on that canopy (YOUR performance, not the canopy's)
How long out of the sport?
What is the MSL altitude at your DZ?
How big is the landing area?
What is your age?
What is your physical fitness level?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

ok,ok, i am going to stay with the sabre2 for a bunch of jumps before i try something else. thanks guys for being so conservative and for letting me know what you think. it has been a while since i jumped so maybe i should be conservatice too

I have quite a few jumps but maybe that doesnt matter.

rickanderson

ok,ok, i am going to stay with the sabre2 for a bunch of jumps before i try something else. thanks guys for being so conservative and for letting me know what you think. it has been a while since i jumped so maybe i should be conservatice too

I have quite a few jumps but maybe that doesnt matter.

????

You get three responses - 2 of them asking questions to better guide the advise - and the result is you thanking people for their replies and declaring a decision?

Either I'm not understanding your original post or you are reaching a conclusion without getting anywhere close to enough information that you originally asked for.

While you were wondering about going faster I was busy wondering if you should UPSIZE to get current.

Total disconnect for me. I suggest you speak to the DZO, S&TA, or other local pro before getting in an airplane.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

rickanderson

i never said anything about down sizing. what is going on? i tried to do everything right, safety day, then getting current jumping my canopy, so now i think it will be fine for a while.

what happened to dropzone.com? nobody wants to help?

I think the problem may be with the wording of your original post. In that post you asked about a canopy that might be more "fun" than your Sabre2 at 1.5:1. To some that implied that you were asking about stepping down in size.

You apparently were asking about switching to a canopy that would be more fun without downsizing, but that is also a difficult question to lend advice on without knowing more about your situation.

Example - you could go with a Stiletto and stay with the 150 size. That might give you the "fun" you asked about without downsizing but it also might not be safe depending on all the variables I asked you about in my initial reply.

Your profile indicates you have 1100 jumps but factors like time out of the sport, total jumps on the Sabre, etc. all come into play.

Answer the questions in my reply and I'll gladly give you my thoughts and I'm sure others will too.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX