fatz

I'm a newbie

G'day all,
2 weeks ago I did my first jump at Picton, NSW. It was the most thrilling experiene of my life and I dare say it has changed it for ever. I am now as keen as I have ever been to take up skydiving and make it a big part of my life. I am currently waiting for the cash flow to stabilize and I want to start getting my license.
I have been reading all the threads and you guys just make it even more interesting. I must say this is THE best place on the web that I have ever visited, you guys have some kewl things to offer and hope that someday I can be as good as some of you sound.
I have a few questions if someones got the time. Firstly the licenses.
Once you have done your 12 jumps, what does this allow you to do.
Then the other 8 jumps following, what does this allow you to do.
What are the major benefits of the A, B, C, D, E & F licenses
How long does it take before you are good enough to be able to take up sky surfing?
Do you need a license to pack your own canopy? if so what do you need to do to get this?
What are the styles of freefall you can get into and what are the differences?
Are there any good DVDs out on skydiving?
Anyway I am at work so I guess I better go do some. looking forward to talking to you all a little later.
cheers,
fatz

You have a lot of questions!! Whew! Most of them can be answered by your DZ, but most of them will be answered here as well. I'm not qualified to answer them, as I am a newbie too. WELCOME! Cool site, huh? A good skydiving dvd is "Good Stuff". There are a couple of good books (for entertainment reading) too, "The Endless Fall" and "Skydivers, flying with their pants on fire". That first jump is a memorable one isn't it? Everytime I hear one of the songs they used in my video, the moment comes back to me.
Enjoy the site here, it gets quite interesting.
J

High ya and welcome to the DZ.com crew.
"Once you have done your 12 jumps, what does this allow you to do?"
i assume your gonna do AFF if so then its only 7 jumps then you do alot of solo's during these you should be able to take care of almost everything required for your A.
"Then the other 8 jumps following, what does this allow you to do?"
When you get your A you are aloud to jump with others. Most people will recomend doing alot of two ways to practice your docking, fall rate controll, center point turns, and exits. BUt you can also do bigger things when you have enough practice or have alot of good people on the dive with you.
"What are the major benefits of the A, B, C, D, E & F licenses?"
I wouldn't know about the differences but i do know that there isn't a E or an F license. After you have your D you can get your Pro rating witch allows you to do demo jump (jumping into events and such)
"How long does it take before you are good enough to be able to take up sky surfing?"
Quit a while atleast 1000 jumps if you don't want to kill yourself. But thats just my personal opinion.
"Do you need a license to pack your own canopy? if so what do you need to do to get this?"
Learning to pack is part of getting your A License.
"What are the styles of freefall you can get into and what are the differences?"
There are Two main ones. RW (Relative Work) this is the the traditional style were you fall belly to earth and make formations, and turn points. The average speed for RW is around 120-130 Then there is Freeflying. There are three styles of freeflying. Sit Flying, Stand, and head down. The average speed is around 170-180 but people can get up to 200+ in a head down.
"Are there any good DVDs out on skydiving?"
lots best one is "good stuff"
I know i didn't do the best job of explaining so all you guys that know more than me please correct me.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver

Welcome to our dysfunctional family ;)
You'll find answers to most of your questions at the dz, through your country's skydiving association, by searching past posts in these forums and in the various other sections of this website - the Safety and Gear tabs at the top of every page will lead you to loads of articles, reviews and other valuable info.
Glad you found us! :)pull and flare,
lisa

Something you didn't ask about. If you're going to post here you're going to need to understand "Post Whoring". Search for the term learn more about it. The one thing to know for now, is that your post count means a lot around here, just ask Clay. He devotes his spare time...oh, and work time....and I think personal and sleep time as well to posting. Anyway, all those question you asked could have been done in oh about 5 or 6 posts. If you get really creative, maybe even more. So remember, don't ramble...just post.
Welcome to the club,
Blue Ones,
Spinmaster

Viking.... that would be true if he lived in the States, but overseas there are E and F licences, ewquirements are differnt to get each licence (Canada is 500 for D) but over all not too bad....
P.S. Why do Americans think the US is the only place in the world?
Cause I don't wanna come back down from this cloud... ~ Bush

Why do Americans think the US is the only place in the world

I heard there were other countries in the world besides the US, but come to find out that was only Canada, so it looks like we're ok...
hahaha:D j/k
"That shit's gonna kill ya if the women don't get you first..."

Are you sure Canada is a county? After all, they do speak American? Oh, except for that one state where they speak cajun....so maybe they are country. Or they could be like Guam, a pseudo US state. I don't know. I just know I like their food.....wait, what's Canadian food?
Um, what were we talking about? :P

wait, what's Canadian food?

What ever they can import from the US...;)
(before the Kanuks get pissed...I'm joking, I like Canada, even visited it once, thought it was a beautiful country and I want to go back for some back-country camping...)
"That shit's gonna kill ya if the women don't get you first..."

they do speak American?

For the most part. Except they pronounce "about" as "a boat".

wait, what's Canadian food?

Beer & back bacon?
<< Zennie ducks for cover >>
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."