katzas

Why ripcords on reserves?

If memory serves me correctly, the Aussies had a pull out reserve system for a while years ago. The pud was on mounted on the front of the left shoulder or mudflap area and was deployed by pulling a straight pin up and tossing the p/c.

Not sure how well it worked or what ever became if it.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

W/a reserve ripcord there's also the principle of maximizing simplicity when the shit's really hittin' the fan: just pull, rather than pull & toss. (Plus, an inboard handle on the MLW is easy(er) to reach w/either hand if 1 arm is disabled.)

ianyapxw

Thanks for the reply.

But in the cases of high speed mals, if I pull red then silver, should I be worried that I would get a pilot chute hesitation? It seems less reliable than my main pilot chute (which gets thrown to the side).

As you get more proficient in the sport, you will be able to quickly and almost subconsciously clear any 'burble' that may have an effect on a clean reserve pilot chute launch.

The 'easiest' way is to look over your shoulder as hard & far as you can...that should twist your body enough on the horizontal axis to get clean air across the rig. The downside of that is if you're TOO radical with it, the deployment sequence isn't as symmetrical as it could be - possibly causing line twist or uneven loading.

The 'best' way is to position your body at about a 45 degree angle to the horizon. We called it 'sitting up' at pull time - back in the day when both canopies were ripcord activated.

When I cutaway...I'm arched as hard as possible at the spine, with my feet trying to touch my butt - falling away from the main you will start to go face to earth when arched like that.

By simply bringing your knees up you will you'll maintain a bit of a head high attitude and clean air across the reserve, you will also be in a better overall configuration in regard to spreading the opening shock down through the harness with less 'whip' on your body during a faster opening.

It's a bit of a 'lost art' because like jumping cameras or small canopies...if you're NOT really ready & don't know what you're doing - it can cause problems.

I'm a pretty large industrial size skydiver, in the 'Wing Wars' - I jumped either a Swing-wing or a Balloon Suit...the largest suits available & they caused the most burble at pull time, my gear of choice was a Centaurus with a spring loaded pilot chute main that was activated by pulling 3 inches on a little 'twinkie' handle mounted to the bellyband.

I preferred 'Rings & Ropes' reefing - which basically meant the pilot chute had a 30 foot 'bridle' before the canopy even left your back...'sitting up' was just a normal part of every skydive. ;)

It's so simple...even a caveman like ME can do it! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

ianyapxw

No wonder why they always emphasise twist the body to 'check' your pilot chute.

I'm arched

***bringing your knees up

So do you actually bring your knees in or arch?

Both...kinda.

Arched to get stable face to earth, bringing the knees up to sit stable at a 45 to the horizon.

easy to do - hard to explain

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

we used to "sit Up" all the time,,, especially when using TWO MA 1 pilot chutes,
to launch a paraplane Cloud....off our backs...

same principle can apply when you're down and dirty and need some Canopy, NOW!!!!
As for a reserve ripcord,:o AND mounting it on the MLW.:S..."if it ain't broke,,,, don't fix it. "B|;)

p.s. the only FIX needed, came decades AGO, when we ditched blasthandles, in favor of D handles....:)
jmy