Zennie

Low Turn Fatality

Probably just that, he was not know around the dz for his canopy skills... that is not a good statement or a bad statement, just a statement... it did not say that he was know for bad canopy skills... the fact is that he was not know at the dz for doing hook turns, and no one stood by the landing area expecting him to biff, like is done for some others. He fell down some, he stood some up, and few can say they don't do the same.
No one knows why Shane made the turn he did, or ever will for that mater, and to speculate, well its just that, speculation... (Also... please explain how what Shane was doing before he had a fully functioning open parachute over his head has any bearing on why he turned when he did)
We are all saddened by Shane's passing. I knew Shane, not well, but knew him. He regularly asked me and others for input and advice on different things... some he took, some he didn't, but he was learning and improving his skills like most jumpers with his experience level. I was as surprised as anyone when I heard about the incident.
To turn this thread into anything but a place to express condolences or draw any lessons about low turns disrespects his memory.
With that, I express my sincerest condolences to Shane's family and friends.
Peace.
Josh