skyhawk

people turnover

I like apple pie but i'm not picky and would settle for other kinds...
I'm the type of person who gets bored easily and if there are others like me in the sport which i'm sure is the case then they will probably burn out really quickly. If you travel around and get into the sport ie go to different DZ's and go to the big boggies then you should have a much longer life in the sport.
Just my dime
Who ever said comming down from a high was bad obviously never tried this.
Magistr8

I'm the type of person who gets bored easily and if there are others like me in the sport which i'm sure is the case then they will probably burn out really quickly.

Very interesting observation. My guess is that there are a few "critical points" where you see people leaving the sport.
1. First jump. People either love it, or decide one was enough.
2. Student status. People shell out the cash to get in or get sticker shock & leave.
3. 100-200 Jumps. The adrenaline is long gone. People stay now due to the challenge of learning to fly or move on to something more exciting.
4. 200+ Jumps. People get tired of the politics, or get stagnated skills-wise.
I think the moving part & family changes are also factors. I'm pretty adaptable to whatever environment I find myself in ("No matter where you go, there you are." ;)). Liz & I have talked a lot about kids & she know's I'll still jump.
Dealing with death (very recently for me) is another. There was a period where I thought long & hard about whether I would want to put Liz & my family through that. Then I just sort of decided this is who I am.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

hmmm! the (my own)death aspect doesnt scare me! i have no one that would really be destroyed if i left so as of right now thats isnt even a factor. though, ill try like hell not to die! i've got things to see and ppl to do!
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

Don't get me wrong, I still get psyched to do the jump when the door opens. But it's more of a "Yay! Plane ride's over! I get to jump now!" feeling than a "Holy S#!*. I'm jumping out of an airplane!" thing. Sort of that feeling of anticipation I get right before doing anything I really enjoy.
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."