GLIDEANGLE

Thumb tangled in brake line - stupid newbie trick

Well, sort of...

For starters, I always turn against the wind using my rears immediately upon opening.

Second, I have practiced canopy control, but haven't made the official jumps yet as demanded by the requirements or the A-licence.

However, I am not confident enough with my flying skills to land anything but a completely operational canopy, and I feel that a rookie like me should never attempt to land upon rears for practice (for f's sake).

Besides steering with risers only costs a lot of energy on such a huge student canopy as I'm jumping for now.
So should a steering line break, I think the best option for me is to cut away for now (altitude permitting), and land the reserve.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Besides, would you really advise a rookie like myself and the original poster to try and land on rears?

I've landed on my rear plenty of times. :D

This is just a brain fart, but I think depending on the wind, a student could actually do that pretty safely, but you would really have to know how strong the wind is and fly straight into it on landing. The reason I say this is, with the right wind I've been able to just softly plop straight down and on other days I come in fast and have to run a few steps. If it was one of those days that the wind was perfect for landing I wouldn't be *too* worried about attempting a riser landing.

Personally, in those ideal conditions are when I would want to attempt something like that. At 33 jumps, theres no way I'm landing with risers in low winds, unless I have to.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I think depending on the wind, a student could actually do that pretty safely

Having never landed on my rear risers, I do know where the stall point is on my canopy when tugging on em. I would be cognizant of this in addition to the wind conditions before attempting such a landing.

Get on a canopy course or get someone who knows what they're doing to explain landing on rears and what to look out for.

There are plently of reasons why you might need to do it. Stuck thumbs, tension locked toggles, broken brake lines or lack of time to unstow reserve toggles. None of those are ideal times to be figuring out the finer points of landing with rears... :)

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com