masterrigger1

Consew 199 Zig-Zag

Someone seriously needs to look at buying this if you are looking for a zigzag.
Probably just needs a needle and timed.

It is well below market value.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Consew-199R-1A-head-only-Sewing-Machine-/251424456115?pt=BI_Textile_Equipment&hash=item3a8a10bdb3

Photo here

[inline consew_199.jpg]

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

What model would you recommend for a zz machine that can handle thick materials well? This 199 sale reminds me of the low 6mm clearance on my 199.

The 265 Durkopp is a good one if you can find one. The one I posted is one of my machines here in the shop.

The Singer 143W is a great machine. If you use a 135 X 17 needle in it you can gain a lot in the way of presser foot clearance and thicker materials.
I can sew 7 layers of Type IV with no problem on the one in the shop. (143W2)

Here is a photo of one:
[inline singer_143.jpg]

Cheers,
MEL

I was able to increase the lift on my Pfaff 238 to about 10mm, maybe 11mm. I was able to move the lift point on the presser foot bar. I just bought a second in very good condition at a really cheap price (local pick up only) and stock it is about 6mm. I haven't looked at my 199 to see if the same thing can be done.

But STILL, the machine that sews type IV toggle noses, 6 layers, the best is a Viking home machine.:S

I wish I'd seen that 199 sooner because I need a parts machine.>:( Or second running one for that price.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I haven't looked at my 199 to see if the same thing can be done.

You can.
You can change the needle bar to one that will accept a 2.02 shank needle and install a 135 X 17 needle in it.

You then adjust the lifter assembly to max lift capability or install some Seiko single needle lift parts in it to maximize the lift height.

I wish I'd seen that 199 sooner because I need a parts machine.Mad Or second running one for that price.

Call Bob Mehl. I think he bought it. He might just let you have it for 900 bucks or so....:)

MEL

As a follow-up: My local sewing machine guru was in the area yesterday, and he stopped by my shop. He spent about 15 minutes with my 199 to make it behave the way I'd hoped. Now it sews 8 layers of TY-8 smoothly. This picture shows the needle bar at its lowest point, with a little room to spare above the presser foot.

Like you suggested, he asked for a 135x17 needle, inserted it into the needle bar, made some other adjustments, and it was that easy.

[inline 199RB1A1_135x17.jpg]

You can.
You can change the needle bar to one that will accept a 2.02 shank needle and install a 135 X 17 needle in it.

You then adjust the lifter assembly to max lift capability or install some Seiko single needle lift parts in it to maximize the lift height.

Can you point me to the necessary parts I'd need.

I can barely get 4 pieces of type 17 under the presser foot at max.

The needle has loads of clearance.