james1010

For the Pilots

I started flight school a few years ago, got about 20 hours into it and then went through a divorce that more or less ended it. My budget is a bit streamlined these days, but my present wife is diligently admonishing me to get back into it instead of just talking about it. My question is this, I'm 32 now and wondered what kind of compensated flying future could there be if I choose to take it that far, and how many flight hours vfr and ifr would I need to land a job?
Bear in mind, I want to fly just to fly, not so much to one day get paid for it. Just curious what might be available. For some reason, I have this idea that my age might be a problem, I feel like I'm starting again late.
James

If you just want to fly for fun, don't get paid to do it. You really have to WANT to be an airline pilot to ever get there. There are plenty of other flying jobs out there, like jump pilot. To fly jumpers in a 182 sized plane, you'll need a commercial rating and about 500 hours minimum. To fly a kingair or twin otter type, you'll need more like 1500 hours with plenty of twin time. You'd pretty much have to work your way up from the bottom. I have no idea how people do it.
If fun flying is all you really want, get paid to do something else and spend your money on flying (and jumping).
Dave
http://www.skydivingmovies.com

Oh yah 32 is SO OVER the hill. Whatever. Anyway, you can get into whatever you want to. If you want to get paid for it you need to get back into the FARs. As for the required amount of IFR/VFR flying you have to do it's all right there. Look at Part 135 requirements for flying and look at the requirements for ATP. Many times you will need the equivelant to land a job that pays a descent amount.
If you get into flying jumpers make sure you are also doing cross country flying somewhere, somehow. You need night, and IFR flying. Some of it can be accomplished in a simulator which is cheaper to rent than an aircraft. Hope that helps start you out.
Chris Schindler
ATP
D-19012
www.DiverDriver.com

Just one word of caution. I know a jump pilot that has about 9000 hrs. Much of it flying jumpers in an Otter over the past 15 years. He can't get an airline job because he hasn't met all the ATP requirements. Flying is fun though.....but not necissarily going to get you a job unless you are REALLY commited to it.
"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

His biggest problem is that he has only had an instrument rating for about a year. He has over 3000 hours of twin time though. The ATP test is all instrument work. The 500 hours of cross-country is what gets most people, especially the ones who get all their time flight instructing.
I can't believe how much it is costing me to run the Zodiac. With the price of premium unleaded all the way up to $1.34/gallon It's costing me about $5/hr to fly. This is killing me.
The Dutchboy
Phil's Flying Enterprises, Inc.

Don't worry about your age. The only thing that has an age cutoff is being a captain on an airliner. One of my friends that flies for Delta told me they have quite a few ROPE's (really old pilot engineers) that are flight engineers on 727's because they are too old to fly.
If you are friendly with a local DZ, you can probably do some flying right after you get your commercial license (250 hrs required). It doesn't pay much, but it is free flight time.
The Dutchboy
Phil's Flying Enterprises, Inc.