milkman

Buying First setup 1989 Talon

Sounds a lot like my first rig, that I got in 1998. Someone modified mine to accept an aad (which cost more than the whole rig did). It got me through my first 150 jumps, till one of the main flaps tore off while I was closing it. Its a good rig if you only plan to fly on your belly, you really wouldn't want to freefly in it.

I wouldn't pay too much for it, knowing its not going to have a great resale value due to its age. If it fits, is really cheap(I'm out of touch with used gear prices but I'd think around $1000), and is in good shape it could get you by for a while so long as your happy on your belly.

Check the RI site for service bulletins. If the rig sat in closet for awhile it may have several of them due. (Or, if it didn't sit in a closet maybe nobody has ever checked to see if they were due.)
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

Thank you everyone. I Have Decided, why waste the money now when I can get something better down the line. Unless there is a deal I can not pass up.

I would rather put the money into jumps and rental equipment that is already good to go, Btw I like the fast responses.

***1996 PD 210. The Parachute has about 200 jumps on it.
1989 Talon Container with 1988 firelite appears to be no jumps.
... "

.......................................................................................

Since the Firelite is an older design and it only has 176 square feet of fabric, avoid loading it more than one pound per square foot.
IOW I hope the potential purchaser weighs less than 150 pounds before he gets dressed.

Similarly, since the PD 210 was designed before anyone was loading main canopies at one pound per square foot, he should load it less than one pound per square foot. He should also ask a rigger to thoroughly inspect that canopy to ensure that it really only has 200 jumps, because canopies made of F-111 fabric deteriorate far quicker than canopies made of ZP fabric. The quickest way to measure canopy life is to compare the length of the A lines. Apply even tension to half (e.g. all the A lines on the left side of the canopy) the A lines, and compare their lengths. New PD 210 canopies start with all the A lines the same length. Outboard A lines always shrink the quickest. By the time Spectra suspension lines have shrunk to a 3 inch difference, it is time to re-line the canopy. That will probably occur after 600 or 800 jumps, but by that time, the F-111 is probably too porous to open quickly or land slowly, so you are better off retiring the canopy when the lines wear out.
If that PD 210 has the older Dacron lines, the Dacron lines will stretch out of trim, with most of the stretching occurring on the center A lines. Again, by the time the center A lines have stretched 3inches more than the outer (end-cell) A lines, you they are due for re-lining.
Most skydivers retired canopies made of F-111 fabric after 600 or 800 jumps.

A 1989 Talon has quite a few Service Bulletins issued. Everything from pilot chute to flaps - (not at my loft to look up all of them) to RSL retro fit.
It is not jumpable unless ALL service bulletins have been complied with. If you have to pay 200+ bucks to get this harness/container in compliance - well - that's more than it is worth. Additionally, if it doesn't have the RSL factory installed and needs that retro kit, updating this rig to RSL may run another $200. Also might not pack a rig a rig 24 years old. Even more skeptical about canopies that are ancient and not in common use. In my opinion this is not a good product to purchase. I'd skip it and go shopping on DZ.com Classifieds. Only my opinion.