Rhonda66

Question for Skydiving Pilots

Rhonda

I wasn't encouraging you ;), just pointing out that it has been and can be done. Years ago at Pepperell when the 182 was down, we had about 25 loads in a 150 -- 'course it takes forever to get to 2,500. (As I was running the place that day, I hogged and made two.) You will want to take the right seat out.

With deference to skydiverdriver, I still don't think a 337 is required -- a 337 is an engineering form required when you make modifications to a plane. The paper you get from the FAA basically says you must placard the panel with a statement about operating limitations with door removed.

As to jumping into a big open field, if it's in Massachusetts, it needs to be a demo jump registered with the state (Turners Falls would be a possible exception as it's still technically a DZ.)

(Sorry to the rest of you for some local stuff)[:/]

HW

My concern, of course, would be door size. The 152 is very small on door size. The 172 would have a much larger door area so would make it easier to get out. Plus, the 172 is on the list for flying with the door removed. Not sure about the 152.

Also on the 152, I believe the brake line fluid runs in a tube right on the trailing edge of the strut. Either front or rear positions can be trouble if the person does not place their foot just perfectly on the strut. If they bend it, you may not have any brakes on landing or at least no brakes on that side.

Again, you will need a bail out rig yourself incase there is a premature deployment over the tail.

Land owners permission.

Aircraft owner's/insurance company's permission.

File a NOTAM at least a day before for jumping location, times, and altitudes. Do not deviate from that NOTAM.

Chris

Oh, I know that Howard ;) It sounds like it's a bigger pain in the a*^ than it's worth, but I know I'll never be able to fly with Adrian in the plane then because he'll insist on wearing his chute and I just can never tell what he might pull...

I can't believe they used a 150 at Pepperell - that's nuts...I would not let him jump at 2500 for my own safety anyway, especially with a 152.

I suppose then, that we should fly out to Orange and then Adrian can make all the jumps he wants. :ph34r: Personally, I can't wait to jump the heli at Pepperell in a couple of weeks, but my rig is at Jumptown right now [:/] Guess I'll have to come out and get it and make some jumps next weekend.:$
Rhonda
PP ASEL

Doesn't sound like it's worth it...but perhaps if we were to get our own 172, it would be ok...It would be years before I'd even consider it anyway and by then who knows how much the legalities of it will change...

It's good to know that it *can* be done if we really wanted to do it someday...probably not a great idea to do in a 152 at all unless you're a super experienced pilot...
Rhonda
PP ASEL

ADVISORY CIRCULAR

AC No: 105-2C

Date: 1/2/91

Initiated
by: AFS-340/820

Subject: SPORT PARACHUTE JUMPING.....

APPENDIX 2. AIRCRAFT THAT MAY BE OPERATED WITH ONE CABIN DOOR
REMOVED

.... Cessna 150 Series...

23. AIRCRAFT OPERATING AND AIRWORTHINESS REQUIREMENTS.

a. Procedure. Owners or operators of aircraft listed in
Appendix 2, who are interested in obtaining authorization and
operating limitations for these aircraft to be flown with the
door open or removed, should forward a written request to the
FSDO having jurisdiction over the area in which these operations
are to be conducted. The request should contain the following
information:

(1) Name and address of the registered owner(s) of the
aircraft.

(2) Make, model, serial, and registration numbers of the
aircraft.

(3) Place where the aircraft is normally based.

(4) Reason the aircraft is to be operated with a door
open or removed.

I agree she shouldn't do it until she's accepted your offer to train her; just saying I've done it safely and legallyand I'm not quite as skinny as her husband. I know both of them.

HW