kingbunky

criticism of rod tinney

found this on the freefall.com message board. seems a little harsh to me...

08/08/02 23:26:54 sent from

Message from a Helicopter pilot.

So sorry to all involved that you had to loose someone in such a horrific accident. However I could not let this message board go without a voice from many of the helicopter pilots out there that are talking about what has occured. After a review of many of the accounts of how this pilot conducted his rides and a review of the pictures at this web page http://pics.kaybee.org/skydiving/quincy99/helicopter/ it appears to the majority of the pilots in the helicopter world that this pilot was a very dangerous person and subjected his passengers to an unneccessary risk and a hazardous flight. The bank angles and low level flight so close to the ground are very hazardous and while they might seem fun to the unknowing are just asking for catastrophe. A message below from a helicopter pilot stated he spoke for all helicopter pilots that he thought this person was a professional. That person could not be more wrong and I assure you the majority of the professional helicopter pilots out there think this pilot should have his license revoked period. Please don't go about thinking that you were completely safe while on a ride like this. You were much safer jumping out of a plane without a reserve. jump safe! john
[email protected]

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

If that seemed a little harsh to you, then why did you cross-post it here? I didn't read the pilot who wrote that original piece's full name or credentials.

Not flaming you man, but by cross-posting that here you are only serving to spread the rumours and gossip about that incident. I don't attach too much credibility to a story that ends with :

You were much safer jumping out of a plane without a reserve

Seems to me that this 'john' character seems to have a bit of a personal grudge against the helicopter pilot (Rod Tinney) involved in the incident. Either way, he wasn't there either and I'm not terribly interested in reading his anonymous slander.

Will

Here's my reply to the helicopter pilot that was ripping Rod's flying.

-You and the "other" helicopter pilots are probably just jealous that you don't have the skill or the balls to fly the way Rod T. does.

Don't worry about skydivers' safety. We understand the risks we take and realize we have a better chance of dying in a plane/helicopter crash than jumping.

By the way, jumping with only one parachute is actually quite common and has been for at least 20years, it;s called BASE jumping and it actually pretty safe when you know what you are doing ---- Just like Rod T. was doing with his flights.

Later,
Jay Bohnert
BASE #522

i guess you're right, i just did a cut and paste without expressing any sort of opinion. i meant to, but suffered form 'postus interuptus' (the boss walked up!) anywho, the point i was going to make was similar to what was posted by jbone... i've never been to the wffc, but it seems like rod has been there many times and has been giving his thrill rides all along, without incident. and now something happens that was in no way (from what i have read) his fault and this butthead is ripping him. the article was not anonymous either, the email address at the bottom of my original post is the author's, not mine.

flame the hell out of him!!!>:(
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Still, having just a first name ('john') and an email address doesn't mean its not anonymous. If he gave his full name and flying credentials he might get taken more seriously. But then if he really is a helicopter pilot he'd be following the proper channels, or at least contacting Rod Tinney personally not attacking him via a public forum.

Whatever the true story is, he's going about it in a very bad way. But you're right, I should probably email him directly and make my feelings known..

Will

I don't think any credentials are really required. It should be obvious to anyone that low level, high speed helicopter flight is just not the safest way to fly. Would I take a ride like that? HELL YES. Looks like sooo much fun. But do I realize the hazards? Yep. We're not in this sport to do everything the safest way possible. I mean, sure, we try to make what we're doing as safe as we can, but we still do it. If we were all so concerned with always being 100% safe, we'd never leave the ground.

Nothing is completely safe. I learned yesterday that people have lost their heads inflating aircraft tires. Who knew that if ya overinflate them, the rim will tend to fail, and the tire will launch off at extremely high speed? That doesn't stop us from inflating tires. It just means we take precautions first.

Dave
RAH-66 Comanche System Safety :)

It should be obvious to anyone that low level, high speed helicopter flight is just not the safest way to fly. Would I take a ride like that? HELL YES. Looks like sooo much fun. But do I realize the hazards? Yep.

O.K., We understand that it is not really a safe ride as a passenger, but I doubt many of us understand how unsafe, or why. I know I don't, and I've done the WFFC heli ride a bunch of times, I'm a commercial fixed wing pilot, I've flown in military helicopters, and I've done a bunch of back country heli-snowboarding. Still, I suppose I've been willing to take the risk at WFFC without fully understanding it. In this case, I'm like the dumbass tandem student who tells the tandem instructor to give me spins and loops out the door, then do close canopy flight with other tandems, then do a hook turn landing, all with high winds and turbulence. The tandem instructor needs to be the guy with the brains to recognize the student doesn't really understand those specific risks well enough to offer informed consent. The tandem guy needs to protect the student, just as the heli-pilot needs to protect his passengers.

Then too, the bigger problem is that when we do that, take the risk in the heli, we also inflict an increased risk on others, like spectators on the ground, nearby residents, as well as other WFFC attendees who are not on the heli. Do we, or does a pilot, really have the right to inflict additional and extreme risk on others who are not directly participating or agreeing to the added danger?

Check the web site noted in the original post...there are shots and descriptions of the heli buzzing the tents at WFFC, buzzing a truck on an open road, and generally subjecting the nearby public to an increased hazard.

The ride is a blast, but on reflection, I'm not sure it is really worth it.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Commercial Pilot (IAMSEL,G)
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

My e-mail to John.
Having read your posting on the WFFC message board I can
only say that its in the worst possible taste. It sucks
big time to slate someone when you don't even know the
facts.
As the investigation is not yet concluded and reported how
is it you feel able to attack a 'fellow' pilot? It is
possible that the dead man was at fault, and even if
he wasn't what good is your posting going to do.
As a Skydiver I know the risks of my sport and I accept
them as my own responsibility. Every time I go out of
that door I am prepared to die for the love of and
privlage of human flight. Everyone at the WFFC
knows the risks and has accepted them.
This is something that that pilot will have to live with
for the rest of his life, Skydivers don't need you to
tell them that low level high speed flying in
helicopters is dangerous and we sure as hell
don't need you attacking a pilot with a
proven track record who does his best by us.
How about a bit of compassion both for the pilot and the
man who died's family and friends?

Skyrad.
"If you want to swim, get out of the boat. If you want to
fly get out of the helicopter!"
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca