avgjoe

Non tso'd rigs in the us

Can a FAA rigger legally pack a non tso'd rig in the US? If a FAA rigger does pack a non tso'd rig can it be legally jumped in the US? I believe if a visiting jumper can legally jump non tso'd in the US if it meets their home countries standards. So what happens if the reserve is used while visiting the US?

Avgjoe

If a foreign-made rig is maintained to foreign standards, it may be jumped in the USA by a foreigner.
Remember that most foreign maintenance standards are almost identical to FAA maintenance standards.

However, it is illegal for an American citizen to jump that foreign-made rig in the USA.

If you want to debate the legality of an FAA rigger maintaining a foreign-made rig ?????
It is simpler to hire a rigger certified by the Canadian Sports Parachuting Association, because he/she can repack any reserve that is "approved" in its country of manufacture.
The last time I refused to repack a foreign-made pilot emergency parachute, the owner refused to provide an english-language (or french-language or german-language manual 'cus I can read all three languages, plus a bit of Spanish)
... furthermore, the KAP-3 was rusted and had not been factory-tested in the last decade.
Additionally, the pack-opening-bands were so weak that they did not provide enough tension to prevent the ripcord pins from falling out.
As for the un-sprung pilot chute ???
Hah!
Hah!
Hah!